Author Topic: Dossie and Staniforth  (Read 1065 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dossie and Staniforth
« on: Saturday 04 February 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Any help with dates or family information on Katherine (possibly Catherine) Dossie who married a Robert Staniforth (also need any info on him). All I can find is that Katherine died in about 1800. I am fairly confident that they had at least one daughter, Elizabeth, who was born in Manchester, 1760. Elizabeth married a wealthy John Patteson in Norton, Suffolk in 1781. He was MP for Norwich and one time owner of the Steward and Patteson brewery which was later run by their son.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dossie and Staniforth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
The marriage took place in Sheffield, Yorks 29/5/1757. Daughter Elizabeth born 11/1/1763 and Ann born 15/12/1767 Drax, York. There are more possible children all on Family Search.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 17 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that extra information paco. Great to have an accurate date for Elizabeth's birth.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.

Offline natonstan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that extra information paco. Great to have an accurate date for Elizabeth's birth.

Hello, I'm Nathan Staniforth, you may have seen some of my articles in the Sheffield Star newspaper, or even heard me on BBC Radio Sheffield talking about my Staniforth research. Basically I'm working on a large Staniforth surname project, we all link back to Stonyford Farm, that stood on the Blackburn Brook in the 1200s.

Your Robert Staniforth was the son of Elizabeth Younge and John Staniforth. I can work your line right back to the 1500s, please reply so I know you're still around to read my post.

Nathan

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 August 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
Robert and Catherine married in Sheffield 27 May 1757. She was from Sheffield he was from Manchester. They married by licence which states that he was 36 and she was 30. However there is a Baptism in Sheffield, Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul, for a Catherine Dossie, 28 Jan 1725 father John Dossie, Vicar.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 August 17 16:36 BST (UK) »
Have also just found a possible baptism for Robert. Also at Sheffield Cathedral church 6 April 1727 Robert son of John Staniforth, Gent.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline natonstan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 August 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Have also just found a possible baptism for Robert. Also at Sheffield Cathedral church 6 April 1727 Robert son of John Staniforth, Gent.

Emeltom

Catherine was the daughter of John Dossie the vicar.

What is interesting, the creator of this thread claims Elizabeth Staniforth marries John Patteson, lord mayor of Norwich. This is incorrect, it was daughter Jane Staniforth that married John. This is referenced in the 1860 book by Margery Hext titled Staniforthiana. This is a line of Staniforths I have done a lot of research on.

Also, I know it's not a great source but the Wiki article for John also states his wife was Jane.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Patteson_(1755%E2%80%931833)

Offline natonstan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 August 17 16:54 BST (UK) »

Emeltom

John Staniforth was indeed Roberts Father and his mother Elizabeth Younge. This line of Staniforths built the now gone Darnall Hall which was a large estate. They were also largely responsible for building the Attercliffe Chapel in Sheffield, now known as Hill Top Chapel.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that extra info natonstan. I will send you a personal message explaining my interest.