Author Topic: Finkill marriages  (Read 1006 times)

Offline asp1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finkill marriages
« on: Saturday 04 February 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace 2 marriages John Finkill (baptised Northallerton 1781) who married Margaret. Their first child born 1815 baptised Ainderby Steeple where the family lived.  Also John's parents John Finkill and Hannah. They may have lived at Romanby.   Maiden names unknown.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Finkill marriages
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi asp

According to Family Search John Finkill married Margaret Robinson on 26th June 1808 at Jarrow, Durham.

Venelow
Canada

Offline asp1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 February 17 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. Unfortunately not the John Finkill I am looking for. The Finkills from Jarrow are a different family.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I think the marriage venelow mentioned could be a possibility. I have found the following record of John Finkill to Elizabeth Robertson 13.2.1802 at Middleham which is very close to Ainderby Steeple.
When I looked at the original record her name is given as Robertson but she signed her name Robinson.
There is a death for Elizabeth Finkill in 1804 so perhaps he remarried in 1808 to Margaret Robinson. Could she possibly be a sister?

Offline asp1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
It is possible john was married to Elizabeth and then Margaret. I have looked at the Jarrow marriage in 1808 it states john as a bachelor not a widower and from the said parish so I don't think it is the same john.   Margaret had family in Morton upon Swale. Still no joy in finding any links to John Finkill senior and his marriage to Charlotte.   Thank you for you input.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi asp

Have you looked at the two marriage licence documents for the 1808 marriage? The ages of the parties are stated on one of them. They are pretty close to matching the YOBs of your couple in Morton. John was 27 (about 1781) and Margaret 24 (abt 1784) They are free to view on Family Search.

Of course it could be a co-incidence.

Venelow

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi asp

Just re-read your message #4.
Was John Finkill Sr married to Hannah or Charlotte? Or did he marry twice?

Venelow

Offline asp1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 17 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Venelow
Sorry Charlotte was a mistype by me.  John Finkill senior married Hannah. I have now managed to trace their marriage at All Saints church, Northallerton, again the records state John was from Romanby.   Regarding John and Margaret, it appears correct that John married Elizabeth, She died in 1804 shortly after the birth of a son.    In 1808 his first child with Margaret was born. I assume they married 1804-1808.
The licence for the John Finkill marriage at Jarrow states bachelor not widower and it seems strange they would be at Jarrow.    It doesn't help that the name Finkill is transcribed in so many ways. It was by chance I found John and Hannahs marriage.  Thank you and Middlesbrough for taking the time to help, it is much appreciated.