Author Topic: Unusual first names - were they any help?  (Read 4191 times)

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual first names - were they any help?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 February 17 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that most of the Howcroft families in the Bolton area are related, but most of them head back to ancestors called James in the first half of the 18th century.

There are, however, at least 3 James baptisms in the right time frame, along with a couple who died in childhood.

My branch has Ralph and Hermon in that period, and they link me back to a Ralph Howcroft who fought in the Civil War.   ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 March 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I think I have made a breakthrough with the Lorkin Wallaker, his mother was Margaret Wallaker nee Rand and his gran (Margaret's mum) was Hannah Lorkin, born 1713 in Little Cornard, Suffolk. I am just getting more info to verify this. The likelihood of being related to Babs Windsor is high as there is a Golding line from Cavendish/Glemsford where her ones were.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 March 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
To answer the question posed in the topic title my answer would be very much yes. I have three unusual first names in my tree, namely Chancellor, Attiwell and Farrer. The first originated in Lanarkshire, probably from the surname of the landed family in the parish of Libberton. All my Attiwells and Farrers are from Northumberland and Durham. I found that just doing a search using these first names was of great value (as you get a perfectly manageable number of hits) and came to the conclusion that the vast majority, if not all, were connected.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 March 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
So long as the numbers remain low. Believe me 25 Hephzibahs are just as bad as 25 Williams to research.On my mother's side I have virtually the entire cast of the old testament!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I have an unusual name which recurs in my Martindale line ... Tamer.

When I first came upon this name (Harriet Tamer Martindale) I assumed that it was after the river which forms the county boundary between Devon and Kernow (and, indeed, it is sometimes spelled Tamar in the records) and that it indicated a West Country link. But no such link exists.

The Martindale name is a geographical surname, originating from the village of Martindale, just to the east of Ullswater, and all Martindales eventually trace back to there. My Martindales were in London, and I have yet to identify the migrant. The line has, however, dried up and I suspect my current research subject MAY have been the migrant.

And that's when I made the remarkable discovery ... that there were a LOT of people called Tamer in the Lakeland village of Holm Cultram. AND there were Martindales in Holm Cultram. Including a Tamer Martindale.

It looks remarkably like I may have found the correct line for further research here! I have not yet managed to establish the link ... but I am hopeful that it is there just waiting to be proved.

So yes ... an unusual name is proving very helpful here ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I think Tamar is a Biblical name.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 March 17 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I think Tamar is a Biblical name.

If so, then it's one that my lot missed :o
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 March 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Tamar/Tamer seems to have been quite popular in Cumberland. I have several in the Whitehaven area, but none in other counties.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 March 17 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I believe I have an ancestor called Fortune Wright (nee Kirk), I have no idea where that name comes from! I know that surnames can sometimes become first names but I have never seen this happen with a female before. Looking through the baptism register for Cotgrave there is actually quite a few Fortune's baptised, I wonder if they are all named after one person (and probably all descended from the individual) or if it was a name doing the rounds in late 1600's Nottinghamshire.

As I said, I believe she is my ancestor as I am descended from a Thomas Wright who was born in the 1720's at Wysall, Nottinghamshire. There are two entries in the register one in 1724 (the son of Edmund and Fortune) and one in 1726 (the son of Charles and Mary). As Thomas named a daughter Fortune and a son Edmund I think it is safe to say that my Thomas was born 1724!

As for a male name, I do have a Justus Bosward from Warwickshire. It's a good job he had an unusual name as well, his baptism was entered as Justus Boswell.

And as for the most unusual name I have come across during my research (and not been related), I always remember finding a marriage in Birmingham for a Shropshire Newbrook.