Author Topic: Unusual first names - were they any help?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual first names - were they any help?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 March 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
There have been fashions for first names which are "qualities". I believe that this was popular with Puritans. Some of these, such as Grace, have survived, but many others have fallen by the wayside.

I've just checked one I remember seeing and expecting to be extinct, and FreeBMD mentions a "Silence" as late as 1943.

I think that name smacks of the desperation of parents who have been kept awake by previous children.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 March 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I found a child named Jubilee in my family - born in 1887, Victoria's golden jubilee year. I hoped she would be easy to trace, since she had a common surname. But alas, Jubilee appears to have been a nickname, and though it appears on the 1891 census, her birth is recorded as plain old Elizabeth.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline tetryon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 03:16 BST (UK) »
I found a 'Lide'... every other sibling and parent had a typical English name except hers. I saw a few alternate spellings. I thought it was short for "Lydia" until I saw it on every original document.