Author Topic: Clement Park Nursing Home Lochee  (Read 6177 times)

Offline Glendo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clement Park Nursing Home Lochee
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 23:37 GMT (UK) »
It was not unusual for difficult deliveries (i.e. Sections) to be transferred to Maryfield from clement park. Mum and baby would then be returned to Clement Park. If baby was to be adopted they would remain in the care of Salvation Army for around 6 weeks.
Private patients could pay to have their babies delivered in the private wing of the hospital. This gave the army extra income. Indeed if the Dundee hospital was very busy they would transfer mothers and new babies after delivery to convaless for a few days at clement park. It was usual at that time that new mums were kept in hospital for up to a week.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glendo,

Would this also be the case if the mother was ill with Jaundice which I believe may have been the case when the child adopted was born at Maryfield?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Glendo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's possible but can't say for sure without knowing.

Offline SMITHCSANDRA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 June 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what area children placed for adoption at Clement park were placed. Try to find my birth sister who was born at clement park 1965.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 June 17 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Clement Park was owned and run by the Salvation Army try them to see if they will help you.
Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 June 17 05:11 BST (UK) »
Article on the Salvation Army Homes. Scroll down to about the middle of the article for Clement Park.

For further information and the Salvation Army address scroll down to the end of the article.

http://www.formerchildrenshomes.org.uk/salvation_army_childrens_homes.html

Offline Glendo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 June 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
I do not know what areas babies were adopted to (only happen to know a couple in Angus adopted two babies. We "girls" used to peep out the windows to try to get a glimpse of the couple leaving. Baby was bathed and dressed in its best clothes ready to go by it's birth mother. Usually in hand knits she had made. These wee ones had been breast fed since birth before leaving the home usually around 6weeks old. A very sad day when they were handed to matron Booth to give away.

Offline jack knight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 August 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
hi , i was born in clement park nursing home on february 19th ,1947,we lived in step row ,off perth road .it was a paying affair at that time ,mom said it was private.now the mansion home of cox is still standing but the other 3 have gone to make way for clement park homes .i think now its made into flats .jack.

Offline GrahamColvilleLindsay

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 March 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I was born  27 March 1965 at the Salvation Home for Unmarried Mothers Clement Park Nursing Home. In 1965 My Parents lived in Letham Perth and would have had me in Perth Royal but there was not enough space in the maternity ward so Clement Park was the over flow maternity. My mother told me that although My Sister and Two brothers were born in Hospital it was the tradition for me to be born at home. I was the youngest of four but my mother insisted that I was to be born in a Hospital/clinic environment. The reason being that my brother who was born in 1962 had been a difficult birth and she had miscarried what would have been me in 1964 so she was not taking any chances with me. She was horrified with the way the unmarried mothers were treated by the Salvation Army as when the ladies had given birth they for an act of penance were treated harshly and forced to get up and clean the building. My mother said those times were when women and children were treated as no more than chattels.