Author Topic: James and Isabella McIntosh  (Read 1579 times)

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James and Isabella McIntosh
« on: Saturday 04 February 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, For many years I have researched James and Isabella McIntosh (nee Nisbet). They married in 1794, in Dunbar, whilst James was in the East Lothian Cavalry.  Their Children were all born in Edinburgh, namely James b 1807, David b 1809, William b 1812 (who I'm descended from) , and Jean Brown b 1816.
James Senior left the ELC in 1800 (but may have joined another unit) so there is quite a gap until the children arrived.  I've had no luck tracing William's brothers James and David, but Jean Brown married Robert Roycroft an ex Waterloo veteran and together with their family, sailed to New Zealand in 1847.  I'm in touch with the Roycroft descendants and James McIntosh Senior is No1 on their Family Tree.
So where did James and Isabella disappear to after the birth of their children?  I've recently unearthed an old 1841 Census record for the civil parish of Ardersier which gives a James McIntosh and his wife of the correct ages for my relatives.
They have an Elspeth McIntosh aged 25 and a John aged 8.  Knowing that there is a barracks nearby and thinking that one of his sons may have followed him into the Military is it too much to think that I've found James and Isabella at Last!
Can anyone assist in any way?
Kind Regards  Gordon McIntosh

Curry,Clement,McIntosh,Edwards,Blair,Hunter, Roycroft(NZ)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James and Isabella McIntosh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I saw that 1841 in Ardersier (James 72 and a cotter born in Invernesshire and Isabella 63 also born in Invernesshire living at Cars with Elspeth 25 and John 8 ) and looked to see if Isabella was still alive 10 years later.  She is in the 1851 census for Ardersier, a widow aged 80 still living at Carse and described as a pauper and farmer's wife.  Her daughter is still living with her, Elspeth aged 40 who is described as bed-ridden and deaf & dumb.  (Don't pay too much attention to the discrepancy in ages given the rounding up, down and sideways that went on in the 1841 census) Elspeth was born in Ardersier, as was Isabella, in about 1811 give or take a few years according to the census.  As your James and Isabella were having children in Edinburgh from 1807 to 1816, I would have thought it unlikely that the Carse James and Isabella were the same couple.

Offline McInOvingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, it was worth a try!
Back to the drawing board.
Regards Gordon
Curry,Clement,McIntosh,Edwards,Blair,Hunter, Roycroft(NZ)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 February 17 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Their Children were all born in I've had no luck tracing William's brothers James and David, but Jean Brown married Robert Roycroft an ex Waterloo veteran and together with their family, sailed to New Zealand in 1847.  I'm in touch with the Roycroft descendants and James McIntosh Senior is No1 on their Family Tree.
So where did James and Isabella disappear to after the birth of their children?
Kind Regards  Gordon McIntosh

Hi Gordon,

Can you tell us where/when Jean Brown married please, who the witnesses were & whether she was of the Parish where they married?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"