Author Topic: What family info did you have before you started genealogy?  (Read 10742 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: What family info did you have before you started genealogy?
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 12 February 17 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Such as the family stories of your grandparents, or even documents you looked at before you were bitten by the genealogy bug?

I remember my nan saying her mum died on her 50th birthday in 1945, and her maiden name was Edgington.

And mum saying her mum was born in County Durham, whose mum Catherine Musgrave before her died in about 1930.

And dad said that his paternal grandad was Richard Titshall who was originally from Suffolk and moved to Essex and ran a boot menders in Rochford.

Also I knew about the Cornwell family of Essex, and a rumour that turned out to be true about a London ancestor. All this helped me a lot on my way.

Quoting my original post, I also had some of my nans diaries which mentioned relatives including her father in law, my great grandad Richard Titshall who was known as "Pops" and in 1949 she said "Pops in hospital, took boys to visit". Richard died in May 1950 of stomach carcinoma and leukemia.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 12 February 17 22:41 GMT (UK) »
My "Smiths" remark was because so many people assume if they have one or two surnames in common, they are linked! Even with unusual names, it ain't necessarily so, - but when they have simply ASSUMED the surname ... you'd strangle them if you could get your hands on them!
Talk about making research even harder for you!

Some people had no consideration! ;D ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 13 February 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Exactly!
-Who Did They Think They Were?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 13 February 17 22:04 GMT (UK) »
My great grandad who moved from Suffolk to Essex in about 1905 moved down there to become a miller in Rochford at Rankin Mill. But by 1911 he was a boot repairer. I may have a good explanation as in the 1911 census when he was 27 it said he had a stiff right leg and knee since aged 25. So that must have affected his ability to work in the corn mill so he changed his occupation.

Family always said he went to Essex to work in the mill then became a cobbler.

In the 1911 census his soon to be wife was a cook at the home of the Rankin Mill owners.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 10 March 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
What did I know? Very little.

Both of my grandfathers died before I was born, and I think it was curiosity about them that got me interested in the whole subject of family history.

My father's father was one of a very large family. I was told "he was one of 14 children ... his mother wanted a daughter. The 9th was a daughter but died; and the 14th was a daughter". Not quite right. He was one of 11. the 4th died in infancy, but was a boy. The 6th and the 11th were daughters. The 11th, my great auntie Shirley, is the last of my grandfather's siblings still alive.

It frustrated me that, despite having this vast family, I never met any of them. I've met a couple of second cousins so far, and two of my cousins once removed, but that's all. Auntie Shirley has, however, given me a book which she originally compiled for one of my second cousins, with all of her brothers (and sister), and details of their various marriages and children and grandchildren.

My father's mother had an interesting middle name (Louvain), and I was told that she was named after the place in France where her father had served in the First World War. However, there was also a family story that her father had been a merchant seaman, who was torpedoed three times and returned to sea every time, but eventually died soon after the end of the war from the ill effects of his wartime experiences. These were obviously incompatible. They couldn't both be right. In fact, it turns out he was an Old Contemptible. He signed up a week after the outbreak of war, and because he could drive horses he was accepted into the ASC as an ambulance driver, and served with the 7th Cavalry Field Ambulance in Belgium in 1914. He was invalided out in 1915, and died in 1920. My grandmother was born in January 1915. The name "Louvain" is an anglicised version of Leuven, the site of the first great atrocity of the Great War, and many children born in late 1914 and 1915 were named in its honour. My great grandfather didn't serve there, however: it fell into German hands in August 1914, and my great grandfather didn't sail for Belgium until the beginning of October.

He MAY have been a merchant seaman at some point in his brief life, however. His army records record that he had a tattoo reading "I love Edith Sully". Alas, Edith Sully married somebody else, and soon after somebody by my great grandfather's name sailed as a storekeeper on a ship of the Union Castle line for South Africa. In the 1911 census, my great grandfather was living back in London, close to the docks, and his occupation was "Ship's Goods Checker". So it looks as though two family stories have become a bit garbled.

I was intrigued by a story which my grandmother used to tell of my father and his younger brothers getting lost in the woods, when my father was 11 and his brothers were 8 and 4. She received a reverse charge telephone call from a telephone box, and it was my father, and he said he didn't know where they were. She told him to read off the name of the telephone box, and to stay there, and she called a taxi to fetch them. When they arrived home they all had very muddy knees, and when she asked how this had come about my father explained that when they realised they were lost, he had made his brothers kneel down and pray for guidance "like you taught us we should", and then they'd found he telephone box.

What intrigued me there was that my grandmother was completely atheist, and I remember when she was dying my father had a big row with the hospital chaplain, because my grandmother didn't want to be bothered by him. So ... why had she been teaching her sons to pray for guidance?

It transpired that she was a cradle catholic, and HER mother (who died shortly before the events in this story) had been a devout catholic to the end. My grandmother apparently abandoned her faith at about the time of my father's birth, after an insensitive hospital chaplain had told her that she "deserved to lose her unborn baby for marrying out of the faith"; but it would seem that while HER mother was still alive she "kept up appearances" and continued to teach her children the elements of the faith. I would also hazard a guess that when she was admitted to hospital for the last time, she put "Roman Catholic" for her religion, rather than atheist ... and that this is why the hospital's catholic chaplain would have been attempting to minister to her.

On my mother's side, I had a few family stories which have been more or less validated, but not much. My mother thought her family was from Kent, because that's where her father grew up. Actually, they are from Huntingdonshire, and more particularly a village just 15 miles up the road from where I now live. On my first field visit I found my great x3 grandparents' grave (I visit it when I can, and like to lay flowers); and there is a brass plaque in the chancel of the church commemorating my great x3 uncle Harry Hardwick who was the organ blower there for 40 years!

And so I started researching ... and got bitten by the bug ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 10 March 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I was told rubbish and half truths.

My mother was Irish and talked at length about her aunts and uncles.
I discovered that they were all her great aunts and uncles.

She also told me loads of stories about growing up alongside her best friend  in the late 1930s and 40's
I thought that I knew a lot about this girl.

My parents married in Scotland and this friend was her bridesmaid.
The bridesmaid lived in Scotland at the time which confused me a little when I saw her address on the marrige cert

I later discovered that she was also my mum's 2nd cousin.
Their grandmothers were sisters and my mum never mentiioned that bit?

The girl was born in Scotland to Irish parents, and the only reason that she "grew up" in Ireland was because her family were evacuees in WW2 !

My dad always said his mother's line , (a Scottish surname that turns out to be our ONLY Scottish line of Ancestry) were from the Isle Of Skye.

So far I have traced this line back to the mid 1700's ( 5 generations before my dad) and every one of them were born within 5 miles of my dad's birthplace... in the East End of Glasgow.

Dad also said that this line were devout catholics.
 His maternal grandmother was catholic but his maternal grandfather was presbyterian and never converted to catholicism.( PR application proved that one)
Estranged from the family when he died and they buried him in a catholic cemetery anyway!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Friday 10 March 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank goodness we're not the only household where there's more fiction in family history than there is on the bookshelves!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 10 March 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Once I started researching on the net I actually found some confirmation of stories that I thought false. Family legend had my gg grandfather born in Germany but all his merchant navy discharges and other documents had his place of birth as London. It was only when downloaded censuses from FindMyPast did I find is PoB given as Hanover.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline nazchk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 11 March 17 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I got bitten by the bug when I found out my grandmother's name was not the one she was given at birth. Turns out she was ' adopted ' by her paternal grandparents 6 weeks after her birth. Apparently she was concerned about what name would go on her coffin when she died and asked my mum who assured her that her married name would be used. This seemed strange to me so I asked why this would bother my gran. Mum then told me about gran having two names when she was born: Kelligan Jackson. Neither of these names had ever been mentioned in our family. Grans maiden name to us was Connelly. So, right away there was a mystery to discover. Gran's parents were not married and her mum gave her up because she couldn't support her. Her father was named as Peter Connelly, and his mother was married to a man called Patrick Connelly, and it was they who raised my gran as their daughter. This was a major discovery to me. Gran had been told her mother had died in childbirth. Right away I wanted to know who her birth mother was, and through time I found out that she hadn't died at that time, but had in fact gone on to marry someone else and have a large family with her husband. Brothers and sisters my gran never knew she had. Also found out my gran's dad Peter was not actually named Connelly either. He was born Wilson. Apparently there were 6 children born to my 2 x  great grandmother who was married twice. They all had different surnames when born. Four were illegitimate, but were given their father's surname. At the time of her second marriage my   2 x great gran had 5 children who all got called Connelly. Peter was killed in ww1, and on his army form his mother's name was registered as his next of kin. This intrigued me. Why was his father not his next of kin? Another mystery which led me to finding out that Patrick was not in fact his father. Took me ages to actually find out anything about Peter because he had changed his name. To this day i am still finding relatives of this branch of the family who are keeping up the tradition of changing their names. The latest one is William Steele formerly Boa, who was my 2 x great grans brother. She also had one called John but he is proving to be very illusive. Wonder what his real name will turn out to be? The search continues...