Author Topic: Register of Sasines need to translate  (Read 7219 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Sasines need to translate
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have not found a testament or inventory for Peter Thomson. Gardeners are mentioned in newspapers from time to time at that period, so you might find something about his activities there. If you knew his employer, there might be estate papers with further details. I'm pretty sure there are records of friendly societies for gardeners in various parts of Scotland at that time, so there might be some mention of him there.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 February 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Melanie, I have just re-read this and your other thread and realised that you have never explicitly said that it is Peter Thomson you are interested in. Nor have you told us how you know the names of his wife and children. You say you have 'his' will but you don't say what his name is; I have not found a will in the Scottish indexes that seems to match this Peter Thomson. So have we all been barking up the wrong tree?
We're trying to help but without all the relevant information. It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle with half the pieces missing. So:
- Is it Peter Thomson who is of interest to you?
- If not, who is it?
- How do you know the name of his wife?
- How do you know the names of his children?
- Where did you find his will?
- When and where did he die?
- How did you get the copy of this sasine?
- Why do you think the sasine is relevant?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline melbatoast40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
A gentleman from ASGRA has referred me to a lady that might be able to help. I'll let you know what she says.

Thank again for all the help.
Mel

Offline melbatoast40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 February 17 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone;

Sorry I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking for information on my 6x great grandfather James Pittullo. I have a copy of his Will and Testament where he names Cecilia as the mother of his children, a few family members and some connections to India, I have also found a record of him as a ship Captain in FIBIS, but other than a few tidbits here and there I'm at a loss. I have checked Scotlandspeople, Scotland places, familysearch.org, ancestry, findmy past, and I can't find anything on the birth of the children. I'm guessing they were born in India, because I can't find anything. I have found a few documents on his son James that mention that his father was a Captain, but there are so many holes.

As to the articles from British Newpapers, I have found the same articles, the best I can figure is there are three Hayfields, one in Mid Calders (mine), a smaller place east of Edinburgh near haddington, and the one near Argll I think it was. My Hayfield was purchased in 1787 and sold in 1795 just before my 6x great grandfather died as he stated in his Will and testament. He died on Oct 3 1795 in Dalkeith as statement in a Gentleman Magazine.
I hope this information helps. I will try and resize the sheets one at a time.

Most of the documents I have are from the NRS or Scotlandpeople. I was hoping that the Sasine might have some answers, but its looking doubtful as this document from the sound of it is more of a bill of sale type thing.

Thank again
Melba

Offline melbatoast40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 February 17 04:35 GMT (UK) »
Ok lets try these, I had to stay under the 900kb for both.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 February 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Let this present public instrument be open to see and let it be known that in the 1787th year from the incarnation of the Lord on the 24th day of March and in the 27th year of the reign of our sovereign lord George III by the Grace of God King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, in the presence of me, notary public, and the undersigned witnesses on the ground of the lands specified within there appeared Peter Thomson gardener at Hayfield as sheriff in this part of the Sheriffdom of Edinburgh in accordance with the precept of sasine contained in the charter after mentioned and inserted within, specially appointed for the purpose afterwards specified, and in the same place also appeared Charles Clark messenger at Edinburgh as attorney for and in name of James Pittullo Esquire, lately from the East Indies, then of Coats in the Sheriffdom of Fife, whose power of attorney was clearly established to me, notary public, and to the undersigned witnesses, the said attorney having and holding in his hands a charter of resignation under the seal to be kept according to the Treaty of Union and used in Scotland in stead and place of the Great Seal of Scotland, ordered, written and sealed as in the specific precept of sasine inserted within, by which charter our sovereign lord the King aforementioned with the advice and consent of the chief baron and the other barons of his Exchequer in that part of his kingdom of Great Britain called Scotland, has given, granted, disponed and for himself and for his royal successors in perpetuity confirmed to the said James Pittullo Esquire and his heirs or assignees whomsoever in heredity and irredeemably all and whole that quarter or fourth part of the lands of Over Williamstone called Wester Hairburnhead extending to two marklands and one markland all and whole the lands of Easter Hairburnhead and the lands of Middlemuir of Hairburnhead and that other quarter or fourth part of the said lands of Over Williamstone now called Hay Mains adjoining the said lands of Easter Hairburnhead on the eastern side of the same extending in whole to a forty shilling land of old extent as a proportional part.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
GR2 you are a star!! Thanks for translating the complete sasine.

Thanks melba for the background; it's good to know what resources you have consulted & what you know.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:56 GMT (UK) »
GR2, now it makes sense. 

After Forfarian’s post on the Abridgement showing individual lands under Blackhall it lists Arch Todd as the owner.  I then found that Arch Todd, writer was the son of Arch Todd so Todd’s were the original owners.  I also found a 1760 entry listing the Heritors of the county and Arch Todd of  Hayfield is amongst them.  So Pittullo acquired the lands from Todd.

This is what I found on Pittullo the other day,

Jan 1792 - To be let 4-5 years the house in Ely, Fife lately possessed by Mr. Pittullo of Hayfield
Sep 1795 - Corn & Stock incl. Equip. Sale - Household furniture shall be afterwards by roup.
Oct 1795 - James Pittullo died the morning of Saturday, October 3, 1795 in Dalkeith at this time he was living at Morham Mains.
Nov 1795 - Roup (Hayfield)
1803 – Will of James Pittullo is executed.

In his Will he appoints 3 Executors, likely one or more are son-in-law's. There is no mention of spouse so I will assume she predeceased him.

Melba, if you send me a PM with your email I will send the documentation above.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline melbatoast40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 February 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
YES G2R you are a rockstar. I does confirm that he did own Coats, that he was late From East India, so now I can definitely confirm he was there. I'm posting pages three and four to see if they have anymore helpful information. Thank you.

Thank you all so much; you are all fabulous.

Melba