Author Topic: Register of Sasines need to translate  (Read 7270 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Sasines need to translate
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »
asked and required of the notary public this present public instrument or more that were necessary to be made of what had been acted, done and said on the ground of the said Lands of Hayfield and at the manor place of the same by virtue of the clause of dispensation foresaid between the hours of one and two p.m. on the day of the month and years of our Lord and of the King's reign respectively mentioned above, there being present in the same place George Clapperton writer in Edinburgh and Andrew Purdie legitimate son of Robert Purdie tenant in Hayfield as witnesses specially asked and requested to the premises. I John Young, clerk of the diocese of Edinburgh and notary public by royal authority and admitted by the Lords of Council and Session according to the tenor of the act of parliament, was personally present together with the above named witnesses at the premises all and singular while they thus happened, were said, were acted and were done and I saw, knew and heard the premises all and singular thus done and said, and I took a note and therefrom made this present public instrument faithfully written by another's hand on this and the five preceding pages and put into this form of public instrument and I have signed and subscribed with my usual and customary name and surname in faith, corroboration and testimony of the truth of all and singular the premises as asked and requested. John Young N(otary) P(ublic) George Clapperton witness Andrew Purdie witness.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Well done GR2, that is a real tour de force. Melbatoast sure owes you for all that :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hear! hear! Forfarian.
I have been following this post with interest.
Great work GR2  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there is little of a genealogical nature in it. Where sasines are more useful is if land is being passed down through a family, especially in connection with a marriage settlement. There is no index to witnesses to sasines or to precepts of sasines. They can be very useful, especially in the 17th century, stating that a witness is the third legitimate son of so and so or mentioning occupations and residences.

Offline melbatoast40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 16 February 17 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much GR2 I really appreciate your help. It did help I now have more information then I did before about the properties, it also confirmed that he travelled to East India.

I bow to you; you are a STAR!!!

Thank you
Melba.