Author Topic: Charlotte Wade's parentss  (Read 851 times)

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlotte Wade's parentss
« on: Sunday 05 February 17 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to identify the parents of Charlotte Wade.

I have found her baptism on 27 Apr 1823  - daughter of William and Ann Wade at Gosberton
and parish record for marriage to William Dickinson and her father as William - labourer, but the witnesses are John Wade and Ann Wade also at Gosberton.

So I checked the 1841 census and found 3 entries for Charlotte Wade in Lincolnshire - two were as servants and the third was with Ann Wade and allowing for the rounding of ages this could be the right Charlotte. They were living in Westhorpe, Gosberton  However Ann Wade's occupation is farmer which doesn't quite match with William's occupation of labourer.

I searched for a possible death of William Wade and found a burial record in Gosberton in March 1840 and a GRO record to match (aged 53)- probably her father - I might order the certficate to see if there is any extra useful information.

I can't get any further back.  There are a couple of marriage records for William and Ann and I thought for a while that Ann Phillips was the wife but they lived in Corby not Gosberton.  I have tried freeBMD and find my past but without anything convincing  any suggestions?

Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Wade's parentss
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 17 02:49 GMT (UK) »
William Wade of Gosberton married Ann Davis of Loughbrough on 11 Jun 1820 at Loughborough. William signed, Ann made her mark.  Witnesses Samuel Davis & John Twells.

Although William Wade was described as a labourer on Charlotte's baptism there is an advertisement in various newspapers in 1828 for the sale of 8 acres & 2 roods of arable copyhold land in Gedney, Lincs - further particulars from the owner, Wm Wade, Gosberton, or his solicitors.

In 1837 there is also a sale of 'a messuage with barn, stables, hovel & garden, and several closes of grass and arable land adjoining, on the north side of Westhorpe' ............ 'and otherwise adjoining lands of - Tindale - Armstrong, William Wade, and Quadring Poor.'

A William Wade was baptised at Gosberton 08 Dec 1786, the son of Samuel & Hannah, and there is a will for Samuel Wade of Gosberton dated 1817 which is available to order from the Borthwick Institute that may be of some help.  Added:  The only death I can find for Samuel in Gosberton is in 1801, and Hannah appears to have died in 1786, so it may be worth checking whether there was also a son named Samuel before you order this.

William Wade of Gosberton who died 1840 is also listed in the Index to Death Duty Registers.  His Executor was John Knight.

Added:  Looks like you should be able to order William's will from here:  http://www.lincstothepast.com/Will---Wade--William/863004.record?pt=S
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Wade's parentss
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 17 03:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you - that sounds like it will fit.  William confused me by getting married outside Lincolnshire.  I'll check up on the will and hopefully Charlotte will get a mention which will confirm it.

Again thank you
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire