Author Topic: Thomas Prest & Mary Johnston Danby-Wiske  (Read 1475 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Prest & Mary Johnston Danby-Wiske
« on: Sunday 05 February 17 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I have previously posted for information re My "Gran" Elizabeth Prest but she has been a brick wall.

I have her DOB as 4 October 1805   possibly in Aldborough...

She marries William Malthouse 23 June 1823 in "Aldborough" Yorkshire (not sure of the church though)  they seem to have children bapt in Hampsthaite, South Stainley, Markington, Bishop Thorton

1841 Census they are Markington Green...

I came across an online tree which indicates that her parents are

Thomas Prest & Mary Johnston who marry 30 June 1804 in Danby-Wiske

and that Thomas is the son of Richard Prest & Tamar Hill and that Richard is the son of Hugh & Rebecca...

My problem is that I can find 2 Thomas Prest baptisms in 1788 and then on the 1841 census a Thomas Prest with a Francis his wife...   

So I am back to another brickwall

I think there is Baptism for Elizabeth Prest in 1805 but I can't find the record.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheran ??? ???

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Prest & Mary Johnston Danby-Wiske
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »
First of all don't believe anything you find on someone else's tree unless they can prove the facts with source details.

Secondly Aldborough is near Boroughbridge in West Yorkshire whilst the Prest family detailed on the tree you mention are all in North Yorkshire.

There is a baptism for an Elizabeth Prest 11 Jan 1805 in Northallerton parents Thomas and Mary nee Johnson

Thomas and Mary also had William 1806
Thomas 1808
Mary 1810
All baptised in Northallerton

His occupation is given as either Husbandman or Labourer. The Thomas Prest you found in the 1841 Census with wife Frances is a Blacksmith so I don't think this is the same Thomas who married Mary Johnson in Danby Wiske 30 June 1804

The only Thomas Prest I can find born 1788 was baptised in Kettlewell father Edward. Kettlewell is about 28 miles from Danby Wiske.

Richard Prest married Tamar Hill in Leake 26 Dec 1785 and all their children seem to have been born in Leake but none called Thomas.

Lots to consider!

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
There's also Aldbrough St John which is 17 miles north west of Danby Wiske.  Genuki lists St John & St Paul's at Aldbrough St John and also a former Wesleyan chapel, sorry I don't know how old these are.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the duff gen. When I Googled Aldborough, Yorkshire the one near Boroughbridge was the only one which came up.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 17 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I have found Thomas Pres bapt   12 Nov 1788 to Richard and Tamar   in Leake, Yorkshire on family search so that's ticked that one...

1841 Census I think your correct I can eliminate that one!

I thought the NorthAllerton was going to be it but there is a discrepancy in the dates.... the DOB is taken from a Family Tree book re the Malthouse family in Australia and that  has her place of birth Parish of Oldborough and records  the same for Elizabeth's marriage Parish Church, Oldborough

Family search marriage records spells it as Aldborough..... looks like there is a record at Aldborough on find my past as well.  I keep learning, looks Aldborough is in West Riding and North Riding....

I have found on Bing maps, Aldborough not that from Ripley which is where William is born and the area their children all born in this vicinity....

Cheran 8)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 03:31 GMT (UK) »
today I received a copy of the marriage of William Malthouse and Elizabeth Prest...

it doesn't name the church but I thinks St Andrews Church Aldborough

the marriage on the same page is for a Margaret Prest and William Dixon both with Ar Robert Langley as the witness and a Joseph Hodgson the Minister!

Cheers!

Offline rprest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 June 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Coming to this one a bit late, but I'm fairly certain that the Thomas and Mary who married in Danny Wiske are my family. There are a lots of Prest's, especially Thomas Prest's, from around this area so it's a bit of a headache trying to go farther back! I have a great deal of research going in the other direction.

If you find they are part of your tree let me know