Author Topic: Newborough 1890's  (Read 1912 times)

Offline redjed1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Newborough 1890's
« on: Sunday 05 February 17 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My nan was enrolled into Newborough school in 1896 when she was 4.

Anglesey School admission register -
date of admission 31/1/1898
Anne E Williams
16 Harp St
father Robert
date of birth 12/1/1893 (?)
previous school Newborough
transfer to girls dept 1898

Newborough school (in Llanfairpg)
Date of admission - 26/10/96, Ann Ellen Williams
Father; Robert, address ; shop isa
Date of birth; 12/1/92
Her half-brother John Hugh Williams was admitted at same time.

I'm hoping someone will be able to help with a few questions I have:-

She enrolled in 1896 when she was 4, and the school was apparently in Llanfairpg. Did the school move to Newborough in 1898, or did my nan move from infants to juniors?

In 1896, her dad lived at "shop Isa", anyone know what this would be?

In 1898 they were living at 16 Harp Street, anyone know where this was, as I can't find it on Google maps.

Thanks, John

[Liverpool, unless stated]
Duvall, Unwin, Hughes (ex-Mold), Holland, Forrest, Templeton (ex-Kings Lynn), Hazlehurst (ex-Nantwich), Grier, Foulkes (ex-Denbigh), Williams (ex-Conway + Anglesey), Mulvey, Wood (ex-Lancaster), Lambert (Liverpool + Lake District), Roberts (Anglesey, Denbigh, Liverpool), Sparks, Wren (ex-Ulverston), Hayes, Smith (ex-Dunham Massey)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newborough 1890's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The 1891 census has Robert William, occupation Fireman, (born 1845 in Conway) living in Holyhead as a Widower with his children Edward, Robert, Owen and Maggie Alice. With them are a servant Margaret Williams nee Roberts (a widow with her son John).

Robert and Margaret appear to have married in Bangor in 1891.

By 1901 they are in Bardsay Road, Liverpool with John and Ann plus a daughter Eliza J born in Newborough, Anglesey age 3.

There is a house in Newborough called Shop Isaf  - occupied in 1891 by a Catherine Williams and her son Griffith J Williams (a pupil teacher) - wonder if Robert and Margaret could have been there when Eliza J was born? Have you Eliza J's birth certificate - this will show where the family where at that time.

Regarding Harp Street  I can't see one in Anglesey or even North Wales for that matter and wondered if this is where the family were resident or perhaps it was just Robert's address.

A long shot but as he was a fireman and there is a Harper Street in Liverpool (nearby is a fire station - see liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk which has a 1901 map with street index) - could this have been a temporary lodging place for him whilst they were in the process of moving from Anglesey to Liverpool?

A long shot but maybe worth exploring more?

Alan

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 13:18 GMT (UK) »
There was a Harp Street in Holyhead at that time, but not there now.

See - https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/224546/382800/12/100703

David

Offline redjed1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tall Al and dcbnwh
 That is my great grandad Robert. He was a fireman on the railway, later an engine driver. They married in 1891 and my nan was born Jan 1892 (!)

I'll look up Shop Isaf in Newborough, you never know Catherine may be related to Robert Williams.

I've learned that there was a pub in Newborough called the Harp and roads used to be known by pubs. It was off Pendre Street, near the Prichard Jones Institute.

The birth cert may be worth buying.

Thanks, John
Duvall, Unwin, Hughes (ex-Mold), Holland, Forrest, Templeton (ex-Kings Lynn), Hazlehurst (ex-Nantwich), Grier, Foulkes (ex-Denbigh), Williams (ex-Conway + Anglesey), Mulvey, Wood (ex-Lancaster), Lambert (Liverpool + Lake District), Roberts (Anglesey, Denbigh, Liverpool), Sparks, Wren (ex-Ulverston), Hayes, Smith (ex-Dunham Massey)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I have been doing a bit of research on Eliza J Williams and think I have found her -

If correct she married Thomas Albert Lang in Liverpool in 1917, and subsequently re-married a Leonard Wright in Liverpool  in 1941 following her first husbands death in 1940. She is showing as Elizabeth Jane Wright in some Ancestry records. There are also trees on there associated with her first husband so it looks like there may be relatives out there you may not know anything about.

I think she died in 1992 age 94 with her date of birth being 6 May 1897.

Over to you.

Alan

Offline redjed1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

That's my nans sister. Her first husband Thomas Lang was shot by a German aeroplane, during a bombing raid. He was apparently a hero, saving some children near the market in Liverpool.

John