Author Topic: "A Genealogical Puzzle" from 1872  (Read 3647 times)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: "A Genealogical Puzzle" from 1872
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 February 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
So.... I'm guessing the bride and groom must be cousins, twice over (i.e. their mothers are sisters and their fathers are brothers, or something like that)... but I've still got too many people ???
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 February 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
LOL, I didn't even try to figure it out! I do not have a brain for this type of thing! And they didn't provide an answer, either, other than the last line.

:D
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 February 17 17:13 GMT (UK) »

When I got to 12 people I gave up as well!!! ::) ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 February 17 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone worked it out?

If so can they please post the answer in a tiny font so it doesn't spoil the game for people who want to have a go at solving it?

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 February 17 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Good news!

I've done some more digging and the newspaper printed a letter sent in by a reader who believed s/he had figured it out. It's a bit convoluted (of course!) but I'll transcribe it soon and include it here (should it be in a tiny font?). I don't know if the writer was right or not!

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
THE ANSWER (or is it?)

The Pittsburgh Daily Gazette published the following, which was sent in by L.L. Book, of Sewickley, Pennsylvania.

I got dizzy just transcribing it and have no idea whatsoever if it is right or wrong.

Here goes:

"To the Editors of the Pittsburgh Gazette,

"Being a reader of your paper, and noticing your ‘Genealogical Puzzle,’ we took the pains to work it out. We submit to you the solution. Judge for yourself of its merits.

"Husband – (Mr. Jones.)   Wife – (Mrs. Smith.)
Daughter – (Miss Hall.)   Son – (Mr. Smith.)
Love – (Mr. Hall.)      Daughter – (Miss Smith.)

"Mr. Jones, a widower, has a daughter who marries and afterwards becomes a widow, with a son whom we will name Mr. Hall. Mrs. Smith, widow, has a son whom we will name the immortal John Smith. He marries, and becomes a widower with a daughter, Miss Smith.

"By a former marriage of parents Mr. Jones and Mrs. Smith have become brother and sister. They afterwards marry each other and Mrs. Hall and Mr. Smith become sister and brother. The two latter marry each other and Mr. Hall and Miss Smith in their turn become brother and sister. Finally Mr. Hall and Miss Smith enter into the holy bonds of matrimony with each other, at the celebration of whose nuptials the dance takes place.

"Mr. Jones and Mrs. Smith each having a grandchild (Mr. Hall and Miss Smith), are grandparents, which satisfies ‘First, Grandsire and grandame should lead the dance down.’ Mr. Jones and Mr. Smith each being a father, and Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Hall each being a mother, dance together, which satisfies ‘Two fathers, two mothers, should step the same ground.’ Mrs. Hall and Miss Smith dance with their respective fathers, Mr. Jones and Mr. Smith, which satisfies ‘Two daughters stood up, and danced with their sires.’ Mr. Hall and Mr. Smith dance with their respective mothers, Mrs. Hall and Mrs. Smith, which satisfies, ‘And also two sons, who dance with their mothers.’ Mrs. Hall and Miss Smith, the two sisters, were not sisters of each other, but sisters of Mr. Smith and Mr. Hall respectively, by marriages which satisfies ‘Two sisters there were, and danced with their brothers.[ ’]

"The most difficult point is ‘Two uncles vouchsafed with nieces to dance’ and ‘with nephews to jig, two aunts it pleased.’ We will not write out the entire explanation, but leave our readers to think it out for themselves. Mr. Jones and Mr. Smith are uncles of Mr. Smith and Mr. Hall respectively; Mrs. Hall and Miss Smith are nieces of Mrs. Smith and Mr. Hall respectively. These uncles and nieces dancing together satisfies ‘Two uncles vouchsafed with nieces to dance.’ ‘With nephews to jig it pleased two aunts’ can be explained in a similar way.

"The three husbands, Mr. Jones, Mr. Smith, and Mr. Hall danced with their respective wives, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Hall and Miss Smith, (now Mrs. Hall) which satisfies ‘Three husbands would dance with none but their wives.’ The granddaughter, Miss Smith (now Mrs. Hall), danced with the ‘jolly grandson.’ The bride, Miss Smith, danced with the bridegroom, Mr. Hall, which satisfies ‘And bride – she would dance with bridegroom or none.’"

Any thoughts, Rootschatters?

Regards,
Josephine

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Haha, that's boggled my mind even more :) I gave up at the third paragraph...
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 19:25 GMT (UK) »
LOL, I gave up with the people becoming siblings retroactively and then marrying each other anyway. At least I think that's what it said.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 February 17 07:55 GMT (UK) »

Wow, no wonder it made you dizzy!!!!

That all but shorted out my brain :o ;D ;D ;D  All sounds a little incestuous doesn't it ::) ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)