Author Topic: M/NUR Annotation on 1939 Register  (Read 1814 times)

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
M/NUR Annotation on 1939 Register
« on: Monday 06 February 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at an entry on the 1939 Register. I'm aware that it was updated later and used by the NHS so some of the information may have been added later. I've googled this but not come up with much.

I'm looking at a particular entry in which the annotation 'M/NUR' is written beside the name of Florance (sic) Gertrude Paton. The surname Paton (written in a different ink to the original register) is crossed out and 'JOYCE' is written - both in the same ink as the 'M/NUR' with the date '19.6.73' also written in that ink. I've cross-referenced with the death registration records and there was a Florence Gertrude JOYCE whose death was registered in 1973 Jun qtr and born in 1890 (same year as on the register though different day of the month). My feeling is that the 1973 date refers to her death and the crossed out name shows she may have remarried after the death of Mr Paton in 1940 or changed her name for another reason. I've not found a Paton-Joyce marriage or a Joyce-Paton marriage that would fit.

Anyway, has anyone come across 'M/NUR' as an abbreviation before and knows what it refers to?
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: M/NUR Annotation on 1939 Register
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 17 17:59 GMT (UK) »
M/N could be maiden name or Married name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »
What was her birth surname?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 February 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
No death reg for a Florence Gertrude Paton.  Which county were they living in in 1940 when Mr Paton died?  What was his christian name?

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 17 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole. :) I've checked all death registration indexes under both names and the Florence Gertrude Joyce 1973 death index record feels like the right one (especially as it looks like 'JOYCE' and '1973' was added to the register late). Alexander died in the sinking of the Lowdock trawler in 1940. I'm more interested in finding out what happened to Florence, figure out her relation or otherwise to him and find out if there are any direct descendants of Alexander. I'm doing the research for a relative of Alexander's through another line who has asked me to investigate Florence.

I've attached a screenshot from the 1939 Register so you can see what I am referring to. Thanks very much for considering my question and for your reply.
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
No death reg for a Florence Gertrude Paton.  Which county were they living in in 1940 when Mr Paton died?  What was his christian name?

To answer your question, they lived in Fleetwood, Lancashire. Mr Paton was a fisherman who died in a trawler collision in 1940 in the North Sea, missing presumed drowned. Thanks for your help.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
She was originally entered under Alexander's surname of Paton which I think has been corrected as an incorrect entry - not by marriage

Am I right in thinking there were a number of residents at the same address - was it possibly a lodging house or similar

?? this freebmd entry

Marriages March qtr 1935   
Alexander Paton   Tynemouth    10b   315    
Florence Vyse     Tynemouth    10b   315

Her birth reg doesn't fit and there were children born after 1940

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 17 22:36 GMT (UK) »
She was originally entered under Alexander's surname of Paton which I think has been corrected as an incorrect entry - not by marriage

Am I right in thinking there were a number of residents at the same address - was it possibly a lodging house or similar

Yep here is the full household detail (additional text in square brackets):

192 Lord Street  Schedule 80
1. [Raymond] Clegg Catherine M. 20 May 1907 Single Paid Domestic Duties
2. Raymond Alexander 8 Dec 1906 Single Trawl Fisherman
3. [PR 283] [LA] [1.7.55] [Nicholson] Clegg Margaret J[une] 8 June 1931 Single At School
4. Newton Mary 20 June 1879 Widow Independent Means
192 Lord Street  Schedule 81
1. Paton Alexander 2 March 1889 Married Trawl Fisherman
2. [310] [M/NUR] [19.6.73] [JOYCE] [Paton] Florance Gertrude 1 May 1890 Unpaid Domestic Duties