Author Topic: My Newbury/Berkshire family  (Read 19616 times)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Newbury/Berskshire family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
What's annoying is that there's an Ernest Eeles b Newbury 1840Q1 6 228 in the old indexes but I can't get it to come up on the GRO search to find the mother's maiden name

Seems to be listed as Ernest ECLES. Got it searching on reference and phonetic for surname entered as Eeles  - mmn Grubb
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I think I just found the second marriage for David Eeles widower in St Marylebone to Ann Stamers widow in 1862 his father is George Eeles and a witness is Henry Grubb.  So he must have remaried after his first wife died if I could only figure out who she was?

Bkessings
Deb

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

Was this your David Eeles in the 1851 census?

Abode: Brown Street, St George Hanover Sq Middlesex

David Ecles aged 39 born Newbury Berkshire Occ: Bricklayer, Lodger

also recorded, possibly his children:

Edwin aged 17 born Hants
Emma aged 13 born Newbury
Edward aged 12 born Newbury
Isabella aged 8 born Middlesex
Elizabeth aged 5 born Middlesex
Maxie aged 3 born Middlesex

If so there is a death reg for an Elizabeth Eeles aged 38 Dec Q 1850 St George Hanover Square which may be his wife 

birth registrations for Elizabeth and Isabella born Middlesex:

ECLES, ISABELLA        MMN GRUBB      
GRO Reference: 1842  S Quarter in MARYLEBONE  Volume 01  Page 164

EELES, ELIZABETH        MMN GRUBB        
GRO Reference: 1845  J Quarter in SAINT GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE  Volume 01

and another child:

EELES, CLARA  ANN      MMN GRUBB      
GRO Reference: 1843  S Quarter in SAINT GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE  Volume 01  Page 34

Death:

ECLES, CLARA  ANN      aged 3      
GRO Reference: 1846  D Quarter in SAINT GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE  Volume 01  Page 31

I wonder if Martha Wade (nee Grubb) born 1808 and Elizabeth Eeles (nee Grubb) born c1812 (assuming this is the wife of David) were sisters.

Have you managed to find David Eeles in the 1841 census?

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 February 17 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Well that's interesting and certainly would make sense ... and I do believe that David on that 1851 cencus is him.  The four older children I found living with the Wades (1841 the boys) and the girls with Mary Grubb. 

I've been trying to make the connection as I figured David's wife had to be either a Grubb or a Paradise because Emma Eeles in later cencus is living with Ann Knight her cousin and her maiden name was paradise. 

Thanks so much I think you may be right I will go check it all out. 

I haven't found David or his wife as yet in 1841 wonder where they were? 

Thank you!
Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 February 17 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Also I've found a few trees with an Elizabeth Grubb born to John and Mary Grubb née Paradise and sister to Martha ... there is no record on them but she's listed so I think you may have solved the mystery!

Blessings
Deb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 February 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
I found this listed on a family tree for Elizabeth Grubb
13th May 1810
Berkshire BRO film MF 665

And something about an 1815 cencus  pound st
Newbury Berkshire

This tree has Martha Grubb listed as well to John and Mary Grubb

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 February 17 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone I managed to find another piece of the puzzle today ... after the Newbury 1841 cencus for Joseph and Martha Wade I find no more on them other than Their deaths in Ireland.  Jospeh was buried with their daighter Martha Priscilla Wade in the Arbor Hill Military prison.  Jospeh was a colour sergeant and prison guard.  Today I found Martha Priscilla's baptism which was in St Helier Isle of Jersey 1842 with Joseph and Martha Grubb Wade.  So I'm now confident that Martha Wade's maiden name was Grubb.  Joseph is listed as Jailer so I presume there was a prison there somewhere.

There was another Wade family on the island at the same time a writer by the name of Thomas Wade. I have no idea if there is any connection to Jospeh. 

Jospeh Wade remains a mystery as I haven't managed to find him on any other cencus apart from the 1841 Newbury one.

Thanks for the help.

Blessings
Deb Rennie

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb

As I can't find much more on Mary Grubb née Paradise I'm at a bit of a dead end, although there may be one more clue for Mary on the 1861 census she is visiting a Thomas Puri, so when I did a quick search on him it comes up Roseanna Purs from Wiltshire who marries a John Grubb!  So I'm wondering now if Thomas is Thomas Purs instead of Puri and maybe a sibling to Roseanna and that Mary is related to him through marriage into the Grub family?

The 1861 census for Mary Grubb records Thomas Puri as Thomas Prior on familysearch (see link below)

https://tinyurl.com/grrqks7

This looks like the same Thomas Prior in the 1851 census:

https://tinyurl.com/zamkkch

Do you have access to the actual images of the census record, if so it might be worth taking a look to see what you think?

Just a thought, I wonder if he was married to a sister of Mary Grubb (nee Paradise)

As your family seem to be in Newbury it's more than likely that they would be recorded in the Church records for St Nicolas Newbury which are mostly not online, Newbury library do have a copy of these records so next time I go to the library I will see what I can find for you. 

Just in case you don't have these:

Burials: St Nicolas Newbury

Date:4th December 1820 
Name: John Grubb

Date:3rd August 1864
Name: Mary Grubb

Chris

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 February 17 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Chris I've looked again at the 1861 record ... it's really hard to tell if it's Prior and I can't find the written one for 1851 so ancestry must have it listed differently again.  But I will have another look tomorrow.  That's the problem with being in Australia can't just pop over and have a look :-).

For Joseph and Martha Wades two children on 1841 cencus it's says that aren't from Newbury and neither is Joseph.  Frederick Mayo Wades future cencus records and military records say he's from Wokingham near Reading.  I see that there was a Henry William Wade  born in St Helier Jersey 1836 as was Martha Priscilla.  There is also another son Charles Rodney and he was baptised in Ireland but I'm unsure where he was born as he he was baptised it says in 1859 Arbor Hill but birthday says 4th of March 1845? Henry William perhaps dies as he's not on 1841 cencus?  Joseph is listed as widower on the marriage to Martha and so I have absolutely no idea where he's from?  I wondered if the other Wades on Jersey were somehow Related.  So I googled them and Thomas Wade seems to have been an Author and a poet and his wife a muscisian.  So I just don't know ... Frederick Mayo Wade I'm told when he enlisted was likely a bugler and later in his years after military life (1901 Kingston on Thames) he's listed as a musician.  So as you can see they are quite tricky to Track! I'm very thankful for your help and if you can find anything on them in Newbury  records then I would be grateful as I'm sure this is where Martha's family are from as for Joseph he may remain a mystery.  The Paradise family are also a bit elusive. 

I'm sure Thomas Puri/Prior/Purs is somehow connected to Martha so will keep looking.

Blessings
Deb