Author Topic: Hugh H BALDWIN  (Read 1020 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh H BALDWIN
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 February 17 00:13 GMT (UK) »
The Quebec parish records are found in the Drouin Collection which is available through Ancestry with a Candian or World sub. Also available through Ancestry Library Edition if your local public library subscribes and through Family History Centers (the familysearch folks) that subscribe to Ancestry.

The online records generally go up to about 1941 with a few scattered ones beyond that year.
PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 February 17 00:40 GMT (UK) »
I find births for two children to a Baldwin father and Jobson mother -- one is born 1942 in Colchester and the second in 1947 also in Colchester.  This suggests that perhaps Hugh and Mary moved back to England in time to have the second baby and that the divorce may have occurred in England?

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 February 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Eileen Wilson
Is there any record of his wife Mary and first child C? They were repatriated in 1946 giving the mother in laws address in Canada. Unfortunately I can't find them on any passenger list although I know they must have returned as she remarried in 1957.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 February 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes, she is the child born in 1942.  The second, another daughter, was born in 1947. Not supposed to name living people in our posts, so you should edit yours to just use an initial. You might want to get a copy of the one in 1947 to see if it is indeed the same couple.

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 February 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Edit done thanks. Were they recorded at that address?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 February 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
These are just entries from the English civil births index so I don't have any additional info. The births took place in England.

Offline CynthiaFreemanKing

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 April 23 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hugh H. Baldwin was the son of William Baldwin and Lucy Bragg both from Pouch Cove Newfoundland. Hugh and his brothers William and James and half-brother Frank Sullivan served in WWII so I suspect her met Mary Margaret Kathleen Jobson while stationed there. I have been researching the family, which is an incredibly huge Newfoundland one, but Hugh has been very elusive. His original name, I believe, was Uriah Horatio after two uncles but at some point he changed it to Hugh. He died in 1985 and is buried in Montreal. I have not found information other than what is posted here after his military service, so would appreciate any information on him that members would share. I will assume that if his wife returned to England and remarried that there was an actual divorce but is anyone aware of whether when she returned he went with her and the marriage broke up in England or did she leave him in Montreal.