Author Topic: Beatty family from Donegal to Tipperary! Why?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beatty family from Donegal to Tipperary! Why?
« on: Tuesday 07 February 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to work out how/why three brothers ended up moving from near Letterkenny in Co Donegal to county Tipperary around the year 1866?

James Beatty (c1836-1899) and his brother Robert Beatty (c1842-1902) appear in Meldrum, Cashel circa 1866/1867 as labourers having previously resided at Treanavinny, parish of Leck, Donegal (several miles from Letterkenny). Both men brought their Donegal wives and families with them. James Beatty died in Ballinglara, Tipperary in 1899. Robert Beatty emigrated to and died in Cambridge, Mass, USA.

Another brother David Beatty (c1834-1910) who married Elizabeth Atkinson of Noan in 1874 resided at Noan and was described as a Land Steward -- he appears to have been a land steward of the Noan estate before removing to Dublin to retire where he can be found in the 1901 and 1911 census returns.

I am at a loss to explain how this family removed from Donegal to Tipperary -- perhaps there is a clue with the Noan Estate?

Help from people with local knowledge of these areas in Tipperary will be gratefully received!

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beatty family from Donegal to Tipperary! Why?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
It was  common for skilled estate workers to move around Ireland (and across to Scotland & England). Likewise some Land Stewards in Ireland were born in Scotland and England (going by the 1901 & 1911 censuses). You often see Gardeners and Land Stewards move like this. Not sure whether their move was triggered by seeing a job in the papers or by personal recommendation from their employers but you see it a lot.
Elwyn

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=3246

Thomas Rhodes Armitage is mentioned in the Will of Stanley Black of Noan he also gives a mention to Elizabeth Beatty wife of David under Steward.

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/wr/details.jsp?id=IRE/ORIG/WILL/REG/23731/5

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Two wonderful responses - thank you as both have given me food for thought :)

Offline BSOS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
James Beattie (d. 1899) in Ballingleragh was my 3rd Great Grandfather. I would be very interest to hear any information you have on the Beattie origins in Donegal. Likewise I would be willing to share any information I have on the Beatties on Noan and Ballingleragh.

I look forward to you private message.

Thanks.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 17 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
James Beattie (d. 1899) in Ballingleragh was my 3rd Great Grandfather. I would be very interest to hear any information you have on the Beattie origins in Donegal. Likewise I would be willing to share any information I have on the Beatties on Noan and Ballingleragh.

I look forward to you private message.

Thanks.

You need to post at least three times I think to be able to receive a private message.

Will share notes, of course.