Author Topic: Michael Burke  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Seamus57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Burke
« on: Wednesday 08 February 17 02:45 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on my great grandfather. What I have is from the US census in 1901 that he was born in October 1862 Ireland, came to the US in 1880. I know he was County Galway because that is on his tombstone. Going by Irish naming traditions, I believe his father's was Richard because Michael first is named Richard. I have found a possible match in Tuam County Galway, but can't see the details.
Burke, Boland and Byrne

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Burke
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Seamus.
Naming traditions can be a useful hint but shouldn't be relied upon.
You should find Michael's marriage first. This should have his father's name, some even have the mother's name as well and a home address.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Seamus57

Where did you find the possible match?

Civil Registration of births commenced 1864 in Ireland, so a bit too late for your Michael.

Burke name is very common in Co Galway -  over 900 Burke entries for Co. Galway at time of Griffiths Valuation taken in mid 1800s, so very likely to be more than one Richard.  Also keep in mind that naming traditions were not always followed.
  Did your Michael have any siblings?  What religious denomination?  If RC there may be church records at
  http://registers.nli.ie/
Best of luck
CC

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seamus57 and welcome to rootschat

I had an initial look at the census to see the source of your information and discovered the following

in the US 1900 census
 - Michael is listed with his wife Maggie and five children
 - all of the children are born in Maryland
 - they state that they are married 16 years (implies 1884 approx)
 - it was usual for the woman to state how many children she had and how many were living
    interestingly the figure given is five born and four alive, although five children are listed
 - Michael states he immigrated in 1880 and Maggie in 1874

in the US 1910 census
 - Michael is listed with his wife Maggie and three children
 - they state that they are married 27 years (implies 1883 approx)
 - Neither Michael nor Maggie state an immigration date

in the 1920 census
 - Michael is listed with his wife Maggie and three children
 - years married was not asked
 - Michael states he immigrated in 1870 and Maggie in 1875

Immediately, there is an inconsistency in the dates of immigration which won't help searching for a common name, however, there is an approximate date of marriage which will help to search for a marriage record as previously suggested.

To help to do this I believe Maggie's maiden name was DONOHUE

There is a WW1 army record for a Thomas Burke DoB Apr 01 1892 of 25 Schroeder Street, Maryland
Parents shown as Michael BURKE and Margrette DONOHUE
In 1910 & 1920 the family were living on Schroder Street.

In 1930 Thomas BURKE (39) was living with his wife, two children and brother James (37)
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Seamus57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 17 01:13 GMT (UK) »
I had all that information except that my great grandmother's last name. By the way Maggie is a nickname her name is Margaret. My grandfather James is older than Thomas. The family is in the worst state in the US to get records from. In Maryland if you don't have exact date location and names they will not help you. Birth certificates are only for the person who is named on it and their parents, unless it is over 100 years. I have seen the 1910 census the street name is not the same as in the 1900 census. I have tried familysearch but the information they have is what I already have. the limited information that I got from irish family foundation showed three Michael Burke born in County Galway in October 1862, one of them being with the father Richard in Tuam.

Burke, Boland and Byrne

Offline Seamus57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 17 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Richard was on his own living in a boarding house in 1910. I met my uncle Richard at my Uncle Jack,s wedding in 1963, but have no record of death. My great grandparents wedding to find that information I would need to know the parish, but no information on where they lived prior to 1900. With the parish I could get the information from the Roman Catholic archive at St Joe's, that how I found my grandparents wedding info 
Burke, Boland and Byrne

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 17 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I can't even find that Michael Burke Oct 1862
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632082#page/56/mode/1up

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Not having easy access to records and working with common names is always a problem

Unless you can prove otherwise I would believe that the Thomas BURKE I found, referred also as Thomas Leo BURKE is your grandfather James' brother.

There are many variations in the spelling of Margaret including the Latin used in Catholic Church records and also a variety of pet names.  I would note the reference to Thomas' mother's name being DONOHUE on his war record as most likely correct.  Unfortunately another name with a variety of spellings.

The clues in the census returns that I would use to follow up with are:

Could Michael BURKE have been married twice and Richard from a first marriage?
In 1900 stating five children born and four alive implies one died but there are five listed
It is possible that Maggie was not the mother of Richard which is why this is an anomoly

Michael and Maggie were pretty consistent on their year of marriage as c1883/4
Over the census returns they did not move extensively
I would try the nearest church/parish if you are allowed search in the church records as it it a short period

I see Richard BURKE on the census returns up to 1940
He is with his wife and family
In 1940 his sister-in-law aged 62 and single is also in the household
As she is single she can't be his sister-in-law by marrying a brother and therefore must be his wife's sister
Her name is Mary MULLIGAN meaning his wife was most likely Catherine MULLIGAN
Richard also has a WWI army draft record but gives his wife as next of kin

James BURKE dob Jun 09 1890 travelled from Cobh Ireland to New York on the "Scythia" in 1932; if you could locate his outward journey the address of his intended residence may provide another clue
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Seamus57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was born in Baltimore, MD and his brother's middle was c in one census and s in another census. You no Michael in October 1862 check Irish Family Foundation. To check for the marriage I need to know where both Michael and Margaret lived in order to know which church to check.
Burke, Boland and Byrne