Author Topic: 1939 register - closing an open identity  (Read 15530 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register - closing an open identity
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Definitely contact them.

I wasn't asked for any proof. I simply emailed them and I made it clear that I felt the onus was on them to provide me with the evidence they had used.

Obviously, they had no evidence at all!

Legally FindMyPast should not have discussed the case with you at all

Cheers
Guy

My husband does has power of attorney for his mother.  She know that her name appears on FindMyPast as an ex GPO employee.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've discovered my mother in law  is on the 1939 register, one of the recently opened identities.  The only problem is she is still living and I know my husband isn't too happy that it's viewable.

Looking on FindMyPast on how to close a person's details I need a recent document with her dob and her signature. well that's not so easy when the person in question is approaching 97 and has never driven and her last passport was over 40 years ago and long gone.  I am in possession of all her paperwork, and the only thing that has both signature and dob is a financial document which I do not want to send. She can still write  her signature, just about but of course I don't want to worry her.

The stupid thing is her husband's details are still closed and he has been gone for over 40 years!

anyone had success at closing an open identity without said signed document?

As the discussion is about claiming "rights" to have a record closed you or your husband is (by not asking his mother if she is concerned about the information being available) overiding her rights to have the record kept open, rather ironic.

Of course your mother-in-law may want her record closed but you give us no insight into what her views are just what your and your husband's views are.

FindMyPast have acted correctly in this situation.

Cheers
Guy
How have they acted correctly???
His mother is not over 100
They are in the wrong. Obviously they do not have verication of her death ,which  they should have obtained to open her record in the first place.
http://www.findmypast.com.au/frequently-asked-questions/answer/why-are-some-records-in-the--register-officially-closed
Regardless  of his very much alive  mother's views , they are totally in the wrong to have opened her record .

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I've discovered my mother in law  is on the 1939 register, one of the recently opened identities.  The only problem is she is still living and I know my husband isn't too happy that it's viewable.

The stupid thing is her husband's details are still closed and he has been gone for over 40 years!

Could it have been a simple error opening the wrong one being as they were husband & wife?

"Legally FindMyPast should not have discussed the case with you at all"....

So it's illegal to discuss (with a family member) something they have illegally on display to the rest of the world  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 15:16 GMT (UK) »
No, she was still single in 1939
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 15:21 GMT (UK) »
In the last two weeks I have found four living relatives' names on the 1939 register, open and unredacted, all of them considerably under 100.

Quite a surprise and a big change from the early days of the register where every page seemed to hold more black lines than unredacted names.

I could engage FindMyPast and ask for them all to be hidden, but I'm not that keen on the idea that I should be working unpaid for FindMyPast to help them comply with their contract or with DP legislation.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Looking on FindMyPast on how to close a person's details I need a recent document with her dob and her signature. well that's not so easy when the person in question is approaching 97 and has never driven and her last passport was over 40 years ago and long gone.  I am in possession of all her paperwork, and the only thing that has both signature and dob is a financial document which I do not want to send. She can still write  her signature, just about but of course I don't want to worry her.

anyone had success at closing an open identity without said signed document?

As the discussion is about claiming "rights" to have a record closed you or your husband is (by not asking his mother if she is concerned about the information being available) overiding her rights to have the record kept open, rather ironic.

Of course your mother-in-law may want her record closed but you give us no insight into what her views are just what your and your husband's views are.

FindMyPast have acted correctly in this situation.

Cheers
Guy
How have they acted correctly???
His mother is not over 100
They are in the wrong. Obviously they do not have verication of her death ,which  they should have obtained to open her record in the first place.
http://www.findmypast.com.au/frequently-asked-questions/answer/why-are-some-records-in-the--register-officially-closed
Regardless  of his very much alive  mother's views , they are totally in the wrong to have opened her record .

The 100 year cut off is not a statutory cut off it is simply a length of time it was thought most people would be happy with.
Unlike other countries in the World the UK has no law of privacy.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »

Could it have been a simple error opening the wrong one being as they were husband & wife?

"Legally FindMyPast should not have discussed the case with you at all"....

So it's illegal to discuss (with a family member) something they have illegally on display to the rest of the world  ???

Annie

Basically yes.
A Data Controller is not allowed to discuss data subjects with third parties, that is why we have the ridiculous cases of Doctors receptionists not being able to tell spouses their partner is still in with the doctor or has finished his/her visit and has left the surgery.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies,  I have contacted FindMyPast and await their reply, lets just hope common sense prevails.  ;D

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Definitely contact them.

I wasn't asked for any proof. I simply emailed them and I made it clear that I felt the onus was on them to provide me with the evidence they had used.

Obviously, they had no evidence at all!

Legally FindMyPast should not have discussed the case with you at all

Cheers
Guy

My husband does has power of attorney for his mother.  She know that her name appears on FindMyPast as an ex GPO employee.

Just seen your reply.
In that case it would be simple for your husband to contact them and ask them to close her entry as he is acting on her behalf

Cheers
Guy