Author Topic: Address Mystery  (Read 1407 times)

Offline linnet27

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandfather Edmund
    • View Profile
Address Mystery
« on: Wednesday 08 February 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate some local knowledge please!  I am researching my Grandad's brother, Joseph Freer Wright, who died 100 years ago this month.  I have found the following -
"Coventry Evening Telegraph 23 February 1917",
"Privations of a Prisoner of War In Germany"
A verdict of "Death from natural causes, accelerated by privations and unsuitable food whilst a prisoner of war in Germany," was returned at an inquest at Preston, on Thursday, on Joseph Fred [sic] Wright (29), a private in the Lincoln Regiment, who died at Moor Park Military Hospital on Tuesday. Wright, who was formerly a butler to the late Mr. Yerburgh, M.P. for Chester, at Blanksby Hall, Chester, was taken prisoner, slightly wounded, at Loos, and had been in Germany nine months before he was sent to Switzerland, where he arrived terribly emaciated.

I have searched for information on Blanksby Hall, but cannot find any mention of it.  Does anyone have any ideas please?
Lynne
Mosedale- Notts/Staffs
Wright- Alkborough & Barnoldby le Beck, Lincs
Thorpe - Elkesley, Notts
Lane - Harby, Notts
Ingledew - N. Yorkshire
Beacock - Bonby, Lincs
Johnson - Halesworth, Suffolk & Essex

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Wikipedia has the MP Robert Yerburgh as living at Woodfold Hall near Mellor, Blackburn.  This would fit in with his duties as a Deputy Lieutenant for Lancashire.  I suspect, but could be wrong, a bit of journalistic license here:  'Blanksby Hall' might have been a device to remind the reporter to check on the actual house details, only for him to forget.  Does a Blackburn location fit in with the family history?

BB

Offline linnet27

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandfather Edmund
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi BB
That's an interesting thought. It does seem strange that there is no information about the house.

Joseph was born in Lincolnshire in 1887.  I can't find him in 1911.  I knew from his death certificate that he had been a butler before he joined the Lincs Regiment , but no idea where!  I hoped I had solved the mystery with this newspaper but back to square one!

I also found a will -  It reads "in the event of my death I give 2£ to Miss E Pitt, St Leonard's Hill, Windsor, Berks and the remaining money to my mother".   Again, I have no idea who she was.  Perhaps a girlfriend or even fiancee?  I wondered if she might have been in service with him at Blanksby Hall!!

Lynne
Mosedale- Notts/Staffs
Thorpe - Elkesley, Notts
Lane - Harby, Notts
Ingledew - N. Yorkshire
Beacock - Bonby, Lincs

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Reference 1911 Census, I see that Robert Yerburgh was at his London house.  I don't have access to the full 1911 read-out but judging by their 1901 Census record they had only a couple of (female) servants there.  Have you checked out who was listed as employed at Woodfold Hall at the time of the 1911 Census?  You should also check out Caythorpe Court in Lincolnshire; while that was a smaller property with fewer staff it has that local link you are searching for.  Your Joseph Wright might have been misrecorded at one or other of these places and so is not showing up on a search.

Best wishes with the research,

BB

Offline hsfam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 17 07:32 GMT (UK) »
I suspect, but could be wrong, a bit of journalistic license here:  'Blanksby Hall' might have been a device to remind the reporter to check on the actual house details, only for him to forget.

BB

This could be true. A search of Google books threw up a story in "The New Monthly Magazine", 1867, Vol 140, p366

The story is very, very long. At this point in the story, they have reached a wedding...

The ceremony was performed by the Very Rev. the Dean of ----, uncle of the bride, assisted by the Rev. G. L. and T. S.; and Miss Helen B., only daughter of Sir Courtly and Lady B., of Blanksby Hall, ----shire, and Portman-street, and Captain William Skeffington de Rous, of the Life Guards, were made man and wife.

Hmmm. "Sir Courtly".

It is just speculation, but I agree with BoselmBoy that Blanksby Hall is probably just a placeholder name. And the journalist probably said the Hall was in Chester because Robert Yerburgh was the M.P. for Chester so presumably he lived there as well and would check it all out later. BoslemBoy's advice is sound. I'd be turning my attention to the actual properties owned by the Yerburgh family.

Good luck!

Offline linnet27

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandfather Edmund
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 17 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou both for the advice. It does seem to make some sense!  I have still not been able to find Joseph in 1911, but will keep trying.

Lynne
Mosedale- Notts/Staffs
Thorpe - Elkesley, Notts
Lane - Harby, Notts
Ingledew - N. Yorkshire
Beacock - Bonby, Lincs

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 17 11:11 GMT (UK) »
I can't seem to find him in 1911 either but he definitely wasn't with Robert Yerburgh in the 1911 Census. Robert lists a lot of servants in the household but no Butler and no Joseph Wright.

Emeltee
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline linnet27

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandfather Edmund
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I got to that point!  He seems to have joined the Lincs Reg in 1915, so must have been with Robert Yerburgh then.  He would have been 24 in 1911, so must have been working somewhere.

Will keep looking.

Lynne
Mosedale- Notts/Staffs
Thorpe - Elkesley, Notts
Lane - Harby, Notts
Ingledew - N. Yorkshire
Beacock - Bonby, Lincs

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I presume you have already looked but he wasn't with his mother in 1911 either. I can't find him at all.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more