Author Topic: Forces War Records - very dissapointed with their service  (Read 10921 times)

Offline Carmelo Galea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forces War Records - very dissapointed with their service
« on: Wednesday 08 February 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I had the unfortunate misfortune of asking Forces War Records to look into my paternal and maternal grandfathers' WW1 service, and from the outcome of their search of one of them, that relating to Royal Navy service, I can say that they extracted the money from me for information that has absolutely nothing to do with my ancestor.  I have enclosed an attachment, noting briefly what happened from 12 Jan 2017 to yesterday (07 Feb 2017).
From what transpired, I can say that this company is not to be trusted, as they only seem to be interested in getting the money and then run.
I urge you to look through the attachment, and decide for yourself whether I am right or wrong.
Thank you for your attention.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Forces War Records - very dissapointed with their service
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
forces war records do not have many records that are not available elsewhere. I think you should have asked for advice on a suitable forum before you parted with any money.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
They're not a Company that enjoy a good reputation on here.
There's nothing they can offer that you can't get yourself with a bit of groundwork.
Around 70% of WW1 service records were destroyed in the blitz & WW2 service records are still with the MOD & closed to commercial sites but their "shop window" doesn't reflect this.
As a counter there are sites like this one & others that give information FOC & if we/they don't have the answer will usually be able to tell you where to find it if it still exists.
So I wouldn't disagree with you in that there are people out there who have latched on to the rise in interest in military history & see it as a way of making easy money.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4332219
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:29 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the dark bar at the top of the page and select SEARCH, click on it, then enter "forces war records" into the search box, you will see several other threads about this company - none of them are complimentary I'm afraid.

By the way, welcome to rootschat.  :)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat  :)

To be honest I have to agree with what has been said, they do not have a very good reputation and perhaps the best course would have been to ask on Forums (especially this one) where there are many people who, if they can, will offer advice etc for nothing.

To be honest with you, and I have to stress that I mean absolutely no offence, I would not have gone down that route again after being relieved of £295 in 2012 and getting nothing for my money.

Best regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
RootsChat has many experts who could probably have found any information - at no cost!

Many of us on RootsChat enjoy researching (me included!).
So just ask on RootsChat, and see what turns up.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too.

If you are looking for Royal Navy records for WW1, put the name into the search engine of the National Archives, if the records are there they can be downloaded for £3-50.

As has already been said, WW2 records are still with the MOD, as are the records of anyone in the services after 1920.

There are plenty of people on here who will willingly help you if needed.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 13:50 GMT (UK) »
For the record, a quick search on Carmelo Galea on the National Archives site brings up twelve RN records for the Great War, none of them however with an 1893 birth date so the answer you should have received is "nothing to be found".

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Carmelo Galea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 February 17 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Had a bit of a problem working out my way around this website, but thanks to Sarah this seem to be over and done with.  I do not think there is a way that I can answer you individually, so I will try and show my gratitude to you all in one reply.
Before I do so, I only happened to land on this site by accident, when I googled Forces War Records reviews (or something to that effect), though I have a vague memory that I might have caught a glimpse of this site at some other time.
To:  gortonboy
You are right when you said I should have asked for advice before;  the only problem I did not know where to do this - looks like I know now.  Thanks gortonboy for taking the time to respond.
To: jim1
Unfortunately I learned the hard way about Forces War Records, and I did hear about a lot of WW1 records having been destroyed during the German blitz during WW2.  You mention MOD - I think this is Ministry of Defence I would think ?  It is really nice to know that I can rely on some kind people on this site than offer their services free of charge, or perhaps can suggest other places to ask questions.  I have now cancelled one other commission that I gave to Forces War Records, and asked for a refund of almost 90pds on the other one, mentioned in my original posting.
To: Ruskie
Yes, as I mentioned above, when I google about Forces War Records reviews, it came up with a 2014 issue that someone had, which was then posted on this site, as I did with mine.
To: jess5athome
Now that I know about this time, I know where I can post my questions and queries.  I suppose we all learn from our own mistakes, at times quite expensive ones, like mine.  You are right about I should not have perhaps gone the same path, but Forces War Records said 10pds deposit and nothing else if no records found, and so I thought OK I will risk loosing 10pds, but they of course turned around and took the rest of the money, although nothing relating to my relative was found. What a bunch of greedy people they are - that's what I think about them now.  I trusted them with 10pds, and they took away another 90pds for nothing !
To: KGarrad
It is great to hear that I can now rely on experts on this site for information, perhaps even at no charge to me. What a great relief - pity I did not know about this before, however, better late than never.
To: Jebber
I will try what you said about looking on the National Archives website.  3.50pds is much much more cheaper than the 10pds+90pds those people at Forces War Records extracted from me, without giving me one single bit of information that relate to my relative in question.
To: MaxD
Forces War Records told me that I am paying for a researcher that spent many hours looking for information I was after.  I have told them (not mentioning names of course) that they should have told me "nothing to be found", and then I asked for a refund of the 90pds - so far they have not responded, though it was only yesterday that I did.

To:  all of the above good people
Thank you all for your interest in my post, and I now look forward to a happy future on this site, which seems to me to be an honest site (very rare in these days where money seem to blind a lot of people).
Thank you all.
Carm.