Author Topic: John Laing - Needle in a haystack time  (Read 959 times)

Offline Suzibee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Laing - Needle in a haystack time
« on: Thursday 09 February 17 01:25 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for John Laing (possibly born 1833 in Cupar Fife to James Laing) (& possibly Catherine Anderson). Came to NZ prior to 1857 when he married Christina Margarethe Brown in Wellington on 29 Dec 1857. Christina's parents Charles Brown (anglicised from Johann Christian Friedrich Braun) and Annie stansfield. This is about all the info I have at present....like I said "needle in a haystack" stuff - geneology is full of it LOL. I have no idea when he died either her in NZ or Australia - ah well here's hoping. Thanks in anticipation - you just never know

Genealogically yours
Sue Bowers
New Zealand.
BROWN (anglicised from BRAUN) Heligoland, Germany, arrived NZ 1840 aboard Martha Ridgway),BOUSFIELD,RICHARDSON,BARNFATHER (england & NZ)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: John Laing - Needle in a haystack time
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 17 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzi,

What source do you have to direct you to the birth being possibly Cupar, Fife?

This will help others to help you.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Suzibee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 17 02:03 GMT (UK) »
A newspaper article at the marriage of John Laing " being son of James Laing Esquire Merchant Cupar Fife ( both in NZ and Fife scotland papers in 1857
BROWN (anglicised from BRAUN) Heligoland, Germany, arrived NZ 1840 aboard Martha Ridgway),BOUSFIELD,RICHARDSON,BARNFATHER (england & NZ)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 17 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch shows John Laing bp.2/7/1833 Cupar, Fife, son of James Laing and Catherine Anderson plus 5 other siblings from 1820 to 1830.

Sadly, James Laing, Merchant of Fife died on 20/9/1833 when John just 2 months old.   His will/inventory is listed on Scotlands People (will cost 10 credits) and his wife is mentioned by name so we know it's the right person.

I haven't been able to find the family in 1841 but by 1851 widowed Catherine and children are living in Leith North, Midlothian.   John is there aged 18 with no further trace of him in the UK which would indicate he emigrated 1851 to 1857.   By 1861 Catherine has 2 children still with her i.e. James bc.1824 and Mary bc.1828.   James is now shown as a Grocer/Spirit Merchant.

Alas, looks like son James died in 1866 Leith North aged 43.   Wills list an entry for him too dated 15/3/1867 and he is described as 'Merchant of Leith'.   Couldn't find Catherine in 1871 census and looking at death index on SP it looks like she died 1862 Leith North.

So confirmation that your John was indeed the son of James Laing, Merchant of Cupar, and Catherine Anderson although he never got to know his father due to his untimely death.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzibee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 17 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Annette for the info that you found. It all helps.

Regards
Sue Bowers
New Zealand