Author Topic: Finlator Cameron of Louth  (Read 1851 times)

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finlator Cameron of Louth
« on: Thursday 09 February 17 04:02 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Finlator Cameron born 1782 in Kent and died Louth Lincs 1847. He is a Reverend, a Minister of the Gospels, variously described and very successful at his work.
I am trying to find the burial/grave records and details from his will.
His wife is Charlotte Graves who died 1848 in Louth.

The will is held in the Lincs Archives and it looks as though I will have to buy it in. I found this record on find my past and wondered if someone would be able to look up the details for me.
<< Cameron Finlater 1847 Index To Death Duty Registers 1796-1903 >>

I have his bmd records etc and a family tree but would be happy to receive information about his ministry and life and family/ photos etc etc.

The reason for my research is his bible which he inherited from his father. I am hoping to find clues to its passage down the family until it is given in 1868 to Jane Warner by her mother. I have no information about Jane at this stage because I do not have details by which I can recognize her in records. Nor do I have her mother's name. The bible ended up in Dorset so it may take some time to follow the line from Lincs to the Dorset area.
Many thanks

Critchley, Morgan, Mogford, Marks, Price,  Pryce,Hammond, Lambert, (Davis) Lane and Thomas in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Somerset to South Wales.  Northover, Samways, Stevens, Clark, Ridge and Thornhill in Dorset

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finlator Cameron of Louth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:32 GMT (UK) »
The Stamford Mercury 10th September 1847

An article following his death states that his remains "were interred in the chapel on the left side of the pulpit he had so long occupied, ..."

Other articles:-
Leeds Times 3rd October 1840
Stamford Mercury 3rd September 1847

David

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I have been searching for graves/ burials etc and obituaries but failed to find.
It was very appropriate. Apparently his work was outstanding.
Critchley, Morgan, Mogford, Marks, Price,  Pryce,Hammond, Lambert, (Davis) Lane and Thomas in Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Somerset to South Wales.  Northover, Samways, Stevens, Clark, Ridge and Thornhill in Dorset

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 17 03:55 GMT (UK) »
we've established that finlator made a 1st marriage. He is a Baptist minister at Louth
According to Lincolnshire Marriage Index on FindMyPast Finlater Cameron and Elizabeth Vickers married 22/4/1811 Louth (by Licence).
A child is born Jan 1812 Eliza Mary.
I can find no records of Elizabeth Vickars (Vickers) after that and no death record on ancestry but I do think she may have died after the birth. Baptism of Eliza is not until 1817 and states mother Elizabeth Vickars dau of Richard Vickars.
I also cannot find a death/burial for 2nd wife Charlotte Graves d 1848

All these are in Louth Lincolnshire

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 17 07:21 GMT (UK) »
The Index To Death Duty Registers shows that his executor was John Graves of Bath, and that the will was proved in the Consistory Court of Leicester (? it is difficult to read).  The death duty reference is Register 4, Folio 944
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 17 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Shaun. Will follow up.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 17 10:10 GMT (UK) »
From The Stamford Mercury 14 January 1848

"At Louth, on the 29th ult, aged 63, Mrs. Cameron, relict
of the Rev. F. Cameron, Baptist minister, exactly four
months after the decease of Mr. C. She had long been in
a very delicate state of health, but died suddenly, being a
few hours before her departure quite as well as usual.
Her remains were deposited in the vault with those of her
husband. At the interment, Mr. Kiddall preached from
the following scripture: "This woman was full of good
works and alms, deeds which she did; and it came to pass
in those days that she was sick and died." Mr. Ingham
also preached a funeral sermon for Mrs. C. on the following
Sunday evening."

David

Offline sunny51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 17 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David.
Sounds like a nice lady. Appreciate the article as I did try to find these but didn't do too well.
Thank you

Offline RobLincs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 December 17 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendent of Finlator's brother William. Finlator's father ( also Finlator ) and William both lost their houses in a fire that destroyed the high street area of Chatham in 1800. I would  be very interested if the bible contains any family history information. I have a copy of his fathers will, he died in 1826 age 80.