Author Topic: Am I at the end of the road?  (Read 876 times)

Offline Michael ONeil

• RootsChat Member
  • O'Neil with 1 L
    • View Profile
Am I at the end of the road?
« on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Can I take this any further?

James Neill born 1807 - Cashelisky. Father supposed to be Patrick. Known brother - Denis (1805-1901) and ‘almost certain’ siblings Felix, Catherine and Elizabeth. The latter have been ‘assumed’ from the godparents’ details for James’ children and confirmed locations - i.e. two of James’ children were born at the house of Catherine (by then married to Kingston). All nine of his children were baptised at Immaculate Conception in Clonakilty.

So can I go any further back with the James and the Neills - baptisms, parent(s), etc. Seems like the records stop around 1810? His birth of 1807 is taken from copious records I have in NYC and is consistent to that year. The only other information I have is that the Neills (who remained in Ireland, see below) are buried in a place called Kilmeen, Rossmore but I can’t make the connections without confirming the relationships.

James married Catherine Walsh in 1834 at Church of the Assumption in Ahiohill (Enniskeane/Desertserges parish). Witnesses J. Neill and Kate Walsh - that’s all there is on the record.

Catherine Walsh born 1806 to parents Patrick Walsh and Catherine O’Leary almost certainly in Ahiohill. Like James, her birth of 1806 is taken from copious records I have in NYC and is consistent to that year. Both of her parents were still alive in May 1867. I have her father in the tithes at Ahiohill in 1829. Possible siblings include Honora, Jimmy and John. Again these have been taken from godparents details for Catherine’s children.

So can I go any further back with Catherine Walsh - baptism, siblings, parents, etc?

James, Catherine and their nine children emigrated to the USA in 1850.

I’ve used Ancestry, Family Search and the Irish Genealogy church records but it looks like I can’t go any further back.

Michael.
Surnames: O'Neil, Beechinor, Ames, Dickers
Locations: Clonakilty, Cashilisky, Fourcuil, Ringroe, Knuckskagh, New York City, Ohio, Canada, Liverpool.

Offline somethingunique

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am I at the end of the road?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 23 06:57 GMT (UK) »