Author Topic: Walcott family of Bitterley Court, Ludlow, Shropshire  (Read 6307 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walcott family of Bitterley Court, Ludlow, Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted the owner of this web page ?

http://www.wolcottfamily.com/shropshire.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Secretary Middleton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank for this, I have emailed John and will await his reply!!  I have tried to make contact with the American Walcot's but they are ignoring my emails.  Oh well the joy's of technology.

Offline Richard Powell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 March 18 14:21 GMT (UK) »
We are looking to trace Walcot family members formally of Bitterley Court, Bitterley, Ludlow, Shropshire. 
The Walcot family lived at Bitterley Court for 300 years or so. 
They owned the right to appoint the rector (they have the "patronage" or the "advowson") of St Mary's Church, Bitterley.   
Bitterley Court was sold to the Wheelers in 1898, however the Walcot family retained the right to appoint the pl?rector.
The Diocese of Hereford only has the following information about the owners of the advowson: Walcot Family Trust c/o Morgans Solicitors, Mill Street.  Unfortunately Morgans has closed down and the business was bought by Lanyon Bowdler.  My employer has contacted them, but they have no records about the Walcot Family Trust.
Any information would be fantastic.
Reply by Richard Powell from Caynham. During my teens in the 1960's, l came across a book with a bookmark in it which was made of vellum! It was a last will by a person whose name I forget but the signatures at the end were Walcot and Mulholland dated .....1619!! That 'bookmark' I gave back to the rightful owner about 30years ago. She had all the documents for Caynham Court estate going back to the reformation. I believe Bitterley was originally in the parish of Caynham. I also believe those documents were lodged with Shrewsbury museum. Some of them have been read but many have not and there may be some interesting information yet to be found!

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 October 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
We are looking to trace Walcot family members formally of Bitterley Court, Bitterley, Ludlow, Shropshire. 
The Walcot family lived at Bitterley Court for 300 years or so. 
They owned the right to appoint the rector (they have the "patronage" or the "advowson") of St Mary's Church, Bitterley.   
Bitterley Court was sold to the Wheelers in 1898, however the Walcot family retained the right to appoint the rector.
The Diocese of Hereford only has the following information about the owners of the advowson: Walcot Family Trust c/o Morgans Solicitors, Mill Street.  Unfortunately Morgans has closed down and the business was bought by Lanyon Bowdler.  My employer has contacted them, but they have no records about the Walcot Family Trust.
Any information would be fantastic.

@Secretary Middleton,

I was given a tip off about this request from a relation today and I know the whereabouts of some of the Walcots, because my grandmother's grandmother younger sister, Mary the daughter of Sir Thomas Phillipps Bt., of Broadway, married the Rev. John Walcot, whose father was the Rev.Charles Walcot, who had married the daughter of Captain John Molyneux R.N. of Gravel Hill, Ludlow, my gt. gt. gt. grandfather's younger brother and the uncle of her mother Harriet who had married Sir Thomas Phillipps.
My grandmothers mothers sister also married Owen Charles B.D. Walcot and some issue are still alive today. Several years ago I had a farm near to Walcot Hall and later lived near Ludlow and know the area well. Their daughter Hester Walcot lived at Great Ness and her son Eric lived nearby, as did his children, whom I am still in contact with.

Offline Secretary Middleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 October 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you all your your help,

We have since found the person we needed to speak to and a new vicar is happily ensconced!