Author Topic: Jessie Morrison born in Aberchirder 1869  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Morrison born in Aberchirder 1869
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 February 17 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry

The 1869 newspaper advert (sale of property) is for John Morrison of South Street. The 1870 advert is for John Morrison, resident of New Street.

Re the Alexander Morrisons - Alexander Morrison married to Elizabeth Joss is in the censuses recorded as both a farmer and a mason. He is, I think, a mason when still in Macduff but when he moves to Marnoch he is recorded as both. My hunch he is your man!

William

Added: The birth of Eveline Ann Ingram showing on Familysearch 3 Oct 1857, Turriff, Aberdeenshire.
Parents William Ingram and Margaret Palmer.

This is the same date as on the 1901 census in Manitoba. Seems too much of a coincidence to me. Cannot see them in any passenger lists. Might be worth considering a post on the Canada board -there are some real experts on there.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 February 17 08:20 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census the family is listed as Morison, the father is Alexander and there is a Alexander and John listed as sons.
Do not read anything into spelling variations.

Jessie is born in 1869 and in the 1871 census there is a Jessie Morrison (born in Marnoch abt 1870)
No, there is not. The original census never gives a date of birth. There is a Jessie Morrison, aged 1. This is exactly accurate because if she was born on 17 November 1869, she had passed her first birthday on 17 November 1870, but on the date of the 1871 census, 2 April, she had not yet passed her second birthday. So her age is indeed one year.

The same applies in 1881. She passed her 11th birthday on 17 November 1880, but on census day, 4 April 1881, she had not had her 12th birthday, so was correctly listed as aged 11.

Some census transcriptions (mis)calculate people's supposed year of birth by subtracting their stated age from the census year. As the census was usually taken a quarter of the way through the year, three-quarters of people had not had a birthday in that year, so the subtraction method gives the wrong answer three-quarters of the time.

I don't think there can be much doubt that you have the right Jessie Morrison. The dates, places and parents' names all match. What address did her father state on Jessie's birth certificate?

I have researched the records at Ancestry.com and some at Scotlandspeople.gov.uk
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Terry_R

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 February 17 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

I have seen a lot of spelling variations over the years so I try not to read too much into them.

You are correct the census would not give the date of birth,  the ABT 1870 came from the transcriber.

On the official registration it just has South Street, Aberchirder.

William found a newspaper advertisement where a John Morrison was selling his property on South Street in 1869. on the Scotslandpeoples site the 1865 valuation rolls has a John Morrison as Proprietor Occupier of House, Milk House, Barn and Brye, South Street Aberchirder.

Thanks for the link to the Ancestry vs ScotslandPeople discussion. I do prefer to research in Scotslandpeople but due to the expense I use Ancestry or Familysearch for initial research.