Author Topic: Mary Ann Workman  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Big Ted

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Workman
« on: Thursday 09 February 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
My Wife's 4th x Great Grandmother was named Mary Ann Workman. This is from her marriage in 1815 in Hampshire to William Whalley. From census entries and death certificate her year of birth could be from 1797 to 1800.

I am unable to locate any baptism for Mary Ann Workman. Census entries show her place of birth as Guernsey.

On the neighbouring Island of Jersey in 1796 there is a marriage of a Richard Worgan to Ann Day.

If anyone has access to Guernsey Parish records I would be very grateful if you can take a look and see if Mary is there at all.

Offline christine workman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Workman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Big Ted,
Did you solve the question of Mary Ann's baptism?? She was the sister of one of my husband's ancestors, Richard Seyer Workman.  If I have the correct family, their father was in the 29th Regiment (Worcestershire Regiment) and served overseas, which partly explains why Richard was born "on the sea".  I have to check many facts yet, but the births of the other siblings could coincides with the regiments movements!  However, in 1797 the regiment was on the south coast, so I'm not sure why Mary Ann is claiming to be born in Guernsey.
Best wishes
Busy lady

Offline Big Ted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Workman
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 September 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
Im going to review what information I have. It is so easy to link someone with the wrong family with the same or similar names. I'm off work for part of next week so will spend time on my Wife's Workman/Whalley line.