Author Topic: Tintype c1897--great-grandmother Sarah Quinlan from Ireland w children in NYC  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is a tintype of my great-grandmother, Sarah Quinlan, with 4 of her 6 living children.  It was taken in Manhattan or Brooklyn about 1897.  She was born in Ireland in 1847 & came to NYC as a teenager, married and had 10 children.  Six lived to adulthood.  The little girl is my grandmother, born 1891, which is how I can date the tintype.

The tintype is not in great shape. The oldest daughter's face is in sad shape.  I have a good photo of her some years later and she has not changed much.  I can attach that here if it helps.  I would be very grateful for any help at all in restoring this treasured family image. Thank you!

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tintype c1897--great-grandmother Sarah Quinlan from Ireland w children in NYC
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 17 00:29 GMT (UK) »
A try from me...

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tintype c1897--great-grandmother Sarah Quinlan from Ireland w children in NYC
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 17 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Handypandy.  I appreciate that.  It is a tough one for sure.

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 17 10:55 GMT (UK) »
It was tough one with some modification

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
This is very kind of you, loord74. Thank you so much.  Definitely a tough one.  If it's possible to just restore the image as is--background, clothes & especially faces--and get rid of the dots or speckles of damage and the shadow on the two faces, I would be so grateful.  And perhaps keep it black & white as the original is.  A lot to ask--sorry.  And thank you again.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm still working on it, Alison. Not happy yet. Will probably be tomorrow or Monday. It makes eyes go funny at high zoom.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Gadget.  You gave me a laugh.  But don't let your eyes go funny!  They are more important than anyone's photo.

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
This is very kind of you, loord74. Thank you so much.  Definitely a tough one.  If it's possible to just restore the image as is--background, clothes & especially faces--and get rid of the dots or speckles of damage and the shadow on the two faces, I would be so grateful.  And perhaps keep it black & white as the original is.  A lot to ask--sorry.  And thank you again.

just some (some...lol) spotting.. (about 3000 mouse clicks...  :o ) and slightly adjust contrast.

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 February 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
That is a lot of mouse clicks, Handypandy.  And what a time commitment. Many thanks.  This definitely shows all that work.  I am just attaching a photo of the woman standing in the right rear whose face is damaged in the original.  The newer photo was taken about 14 years later than the tintype but she has not changed much--just somewhat heavier.  Thank you very much again.