Author Topic: Did Bridget McQuillen from Antrim have a maiden of Scally?  (Read 561 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Did Bridget McQuillen from Antrim have a maiden of Scally?
« on: Thursday 09 February 17 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello from New Zealand.

I have been doing some research based on information written by my Great Aunty Mary. According to it my great grand mother Ellen McIlroy (nee Scally) had a sister Bridget Scally who became Mrs. McQuill and later immigrated to New Zealand and lived in a small town called Geraldine. I have previously posted a quiry about the McIlroy's here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=760680.0.

Now I have researched 'McQuill' for Geraldine and I think my great Aunty Mary was referring to a James and Bridget McQuillen (alt spelt: McQuillan). From the what I have found out about the McQuillen's is that they, like the McIlroy's, came from Antrim and departed Ireland for New Zealand on the 1st October, 1869 aboard the Celaeno. Also looking at the age of Bridget McQuillen she would have been about the appropriate age to be a sibling to my great grandmother. Her husband was James McQuillen and they were married in Ireland.

I think chances are highly possible that I have the correct Bridget, but ideally I would like concrete proof before committing myself to saying it is. So if anybody can find a marriage certificate that states that Bridget was a 'Scally' or 'Scully' that would be fantastic and an enormous help. And if you can find her exact age/birth date would be cool too.

Many thanks for your time.

Ashley
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did Bridget McQuillen from Antrim have a maiden of Scally?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages started in 1864 so if earlier you'll need to check church records. Since brides usually marry in their home church then that would be the placve to look for a possible McQuillan marriage.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Re: Did Bridget McQuillen from Antrim have a maiden of Scally?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I would just like to let you know that I have now confirmed that Bidget did infact have a maiden name of Scally. This particular post has been resolved  :D
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."