Author Topic: Meaning of "Direct Line", please?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of "Direct Line", please?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 February 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Sancti.

My PC seems to have some sort of block on playing videos of you-know-who.

Despite the colourful language, it's very, very, FUNNY!!   ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 February 17 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd throw in my 'd's' worth (old abbreviation for a scottish penny).

I noticed from the adjoining link; http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716676.0

there's a forename of 'Erskine' (not common but I liked it) which may be a reference to the place name in Renfrew (Scotland) or a surname?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 February 17 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Thought I'd throw in my 'd's' worth (old abbreviation for a scottish penny).

I noticed from the adjoining link; http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716676.0

there's a forename of 'Erskine' (not common but I liked it) which may be a reference to the place name in Renfrew (Scotland) or a surname?

Annie

Hi Annie:

I never gave that name a second thought!  When we first seriously started researching the Stuarts in Canada I only knew my ancestor's facts and her parents' names (James Stuart and Sarah Fowley) and birthplace (both born in "Sligo", Ireland).  As others helped me find facts about James, we found out that my ancestor had siblings and James also had siblings.  I will definitely look for an Erskine connection - since Erskine's brother was named Hamilton (possibly after his mother, Jane Hamilton), there might be a reason why they chose the name Erskine.

We are fairly certain that James named his son James Hamilton and sadly the child appears to have died at age 11 months.  We don't believe he had any other sons.  I will take another look at any middle names given to his daughters in case there could be a clue there, as well.

Thank you all for the links and youtube reference; they've been interesting and funny.   ;D  I appreciate all of the comments; it is quite interesting to learn things about Scotland, especially since most of my research has been in England and Ireland.

Thank you Annie for providing a possible clue to learning more about the Stuarts.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)