Author Topic: Charles John Mckinney - wanting to find grave - somewhere in Glasgow/Motherwell  (Read 1923 times)

Offline charlsc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there,

My name i Charlene and i'm from Australia.   

I'm searching for my Great Uncle's grave. I believe he'd be somewhere in Glasgow or Motherwell (he resided in Motherwell) .

His name was - Charles John McKinney, he was 4 years old when he died from a tram accident. He died 19 June 1917. His mother's name was Jessie McDonald. 

Unfortunately, I have been unable to trace a reference to a burial for Charles.   

I contacted the North Lanarkshire city council and they were able to tell me that he died in Dennistoun. (see the following information that they sent me from Scotland's people.

MCKINNEY Forename CHARLES
Age at death 4
Year 1917
Ref 644/4 901
RD Name
Dennistoun

My main desire is to know where he is buried.

I appreciate any help that you can give me - even if it's to do with his parents - Jessie McDonald and Robert McKinney.

Thank you in advance

these cemeteries records have been searched - unfortunately found no record for Charles John McKinney at the following cemeteries:

Lambhill Cemetery

Western Necropolis

Sighthill Cemetery

Glasgow Necropolis

Riddrie Park Cemetery

St. Kentigern’s RC Cemetery

Tollcross Cemetery
Eastern Necropolis

Offline boggy220

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Charles John Mckinney - wanting to find grave - somewhere in Glasgow/Motherwell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 August 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
Did you try St. Peter's Cemetery in Glasgow?

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles John Mckinney - wanting to find grave - somewhere in Glasgow/Motherwell
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
The accident is reported in The Motherwell Times dated 22 Jun 1917.
His parents, Robert and Jessie placed his death announcement in the same edition but, no funeral arrangement is mentioned.

The child was hit by a tramcar in Merry Street, Motherwell on 15 Jun  which severed his right leg below the knee.
He was transferred to the Royal Infirmary in Glasgow where he died on 19 Jun

The child and his parents lived at 7 Baillie Square, Motherwell.
I don't expect that this child would be buried in Glasgow

Motherwell Times was a weekly paper, issued each Friday.
I could find no mention in the following  2 weeks editions. ( no acknowledements thanking friends etc)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
Just a thought...

Being so young, is it possible he may be buried with the g/parents wherever they're buried?

Annie

Added, Parents married Bellshill, could this be where Charles is?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlene,
contact North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre Motherwell 01698 274590 or Email them , they have records for most cemeteries in, and around Motherwell and they will do a check for you.
1901 census , Robert McKinney28, his wife Jessie22, his mother Mary 60, and uncle WF McGoldrick65
living at 10 Old Braidhurst Rows Motherwell Dalziel..

Good Luck

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
His parents placed an In Memorium for Charlie in The Motherwell Times  on his anniversaries  in 1918, 1919, & 1922 ( don't see any for 1920 & 1921)

In 1922 Charlie is mentioned as the son of Robert and Jessie but they also added  "Wee Mary"who died 27 Aug 1921.
The inference is that Charlie was their son but, "Wee Mary" does not appear to be their child

SP shows death of Mary McKinney age 1 registered in Dalziel.
Is this a grandchild?

Offline charlsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
I don't have any information on a Mary McKinney that died in 1921. Could possibly be a grandchild? but i don't now for certain.

Offline charlsc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 17 08:08 BST (UK) »
I think i have contacted the North Lanarkshire Centre. With no luck.

He could be buried with g/parents. But wouldn't that show up somewhere in records? I have contacted quite a few places with no luck.

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlene,
Checked out Lanarkshire Heritage Centre  today, Found Jessie Ferguson McKinney age 41 Died 31 Oct 1950, 91H  Airbles Cemetery Motherwell, and also Thomas McKinney,  age 61 died 15 July 1964, 91H
Airbles, his parents were transcribed as, Robert McKinney and Jessie McDonald.
No trace of the parents, or Charles John in any of the other local cemeteries.