Author Topic: Railway Cottages Plean  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Eric8751

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Railway Cottages Plean
« on: Friday 10 February 17 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello  Does anyone have and information about the Railway Cottages in Plean.  I would especially like a photograph of them as my grandfather John Stevenson was born there and my great grandfather David Eadie Stevenson was a Forman Surfaceman and later the Railway Gatekeeper there until he retired in 1930 after 38 years service.  There were four cottages in all and were situated in Cadgers Lane, East Plean near the entrance to Gartwinnie Farm.  They were owned by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company and were accommodation for railway employees (and their families) who maintained the tracks around No1 and No3  Plean Collieries through to Plean Junction and beyond.  The cottages are shown on early maps of the area but nothing remains at the site today. It is my understanding that they were demolished in the 1960s.  If anyone has photos or information about the Railway Cottages Plean I would like to hear from you and would be grateful for your help.

Offline hagg1sr00ts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Railway Cottages Plean
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Eric, looks like railway cottages were at the top of Cadgers Loan. see attached National Library of Scotland clip for 1913.

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Eric, if you type Plean railway cottages into your browser and then click on images, it should show several photos of the station and cottages.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline Eric8751

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the 1913 map of the Plean area - I have a copy of a different/less detailed version and as can be seen it shows the exact location of the Railway Cottages in question.  They are not located near Plean Station and I cannot find any images of the cottages I am looking for online.  I am hopeful that some photos of the four terraced cottages may exist in a Railway Museum, Coal Mining Museum/Historical Society in the Plean area or possibly in the Stirling Archives.  I live in Australia so checking out these places first hand is a little difficult but hope to visit the Stirling/Plean/Throsk area in the next year or so to do more family research on my Stevenson ancestors.  If anyone finds photos of the cottages I would appreciate hearing from you very much

Offline hagg1sr00ts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Please refer to Red Rows Plean post, This photo is at the bottom of Cadgers Loan, your railway cottages would be at the top of the road in centre. Nowadays the area at the top of the road is occupied by Plean Precast cement company, they are nearby to Plean Country Park. Plean House is in here but is in a pretty dilapidated state.

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 15:40 GMT (UK) »
ERIC8751

Is it not Sink Cottages you are looking for? These were nearer to Bannockburn and next to the railway track. There is a photo of one of the Sink cottages in the post about "STEVENSON`S FROM BANNOCKBURN". On page 7.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline Eric8751

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 17 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your responses.  No, the Sink Cottages are not the one's I'm looking for.  The Railway Cottages were located at the entrance to Gartwinnie Farm as shown on the map in an earlier post.  There can be no doubt about this.  A railway line ran right past the entrance to the farm and a set of railway gates were located there.  My great grandfather, grandfather and mother all lived there in No 1 cottage and my great grandfather was the railway gatekeeper there in his later years - all this is verified by census records and valuation rolls.  Remnants of the railway gate posts are still there today (I took a Google Earth drive down Cadgers Loan to the entrance of Gartwinnie farm and saw them there but there is now no trace of the cottages).  I have old photos of my grandfather and mother with the gates in the background but no photo of the Railway Cottages themselves hence this post.  I have an RAF aerial photo of the area taken in 1946 which shows a structure at the location of the cottages shown on the map and after contacting Gartwinnie Farm, was advised they were there until about 1960 when I believe they were condemned and demolished (interesting from the Red Rows post that they were demolished in 1956).  As stated, the location of the Railway Cottages is not in question but I would like more information about their history and photos of them for my family records.  Shire/Council records and Stirling Archives may have information which I need to follow up.  Thanks again and regards

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 February 17 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Presumably these LMS cottages were built by the Caledonian Railway?  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Eric8751

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
The Railway Cottages may have been built by the Caledonian Railway as the above map shows them located on the C. R. Plean Branch line. Wikipedia for "Scottish Central Railway" under subheading "Under the Caledonian Railway" states "...the Caledonian Railway acquired 112 route miles of line...(tracks and branches listed) ... and short branches at Plean". The amalgamation of the SCR with CR occurred in 1865 - I suppose it is possible the SCR built the cottages.   1925 and 1930 Valuation Rolls show the owners as the LMS. My great grandfather David Eadie Stevenson started work with the Caledonian Railways in 1891, worked only in Plean and lived in the Railway Cottages until he retired in 1930 from the LMS .  I expect the CR branch line, and therefore the cottages, would not have existed before the No 3 and 4 collieries were built in the area so this may be the determining factor.