Author Topic: Struggling with 1901  (Read 1768 times)

Online Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Struggling with 1901
« on: Friday 10 February 17 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am struggling to find the following person in the 1901 census. Margaret Ellen Allen b J1864 Cambridge. In 1871, 1881 and 1891 she is living in Cambridge with her parents Owen & Naomi Allen

After that I can't find her under this name. So I looked at marriages and of the 5 Margaret Ellen Allen marriages up to 1912, 3 were in Lancashire, one in the West Midlands and one in Cambridge.

This was to a Joseph Ernest Cox J1897. I found Margaret in the 1911. She is widowed but says she was married for 14 years. This would just about fit with a Joseph Ernest Cox whose death was registered in Woolwich J1910. This chap woud have been a tad younger than Margaret. Or she may have put 14 years as it was 14 years since her marriage. She is living in Bexhill with an adopted daughter, Winifred Amy Cox, aged 10, and a boarder.

I have tried everything I can think of to find them in the 1901, as I would like to pin down Joseph which is tricky without a place of birth. I'm also hoping that Winifred might just be with them and that there is a clue as to who she could be.

I have tried looking on Ancestry and Family Search but to no avail. Any ideas please?

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling with 1901
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 17 19:57 GMT (UK) »

Woolwich makes me think military - perhaps they were overseas in 1901? Boer War? I have some missing people in 1901 - one of whom I know for sure was in SA at the time.

Have you looked for any military records for Joseph?

Online Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Ah, good idea. I shall have a scout around.

Thank you

Online Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if the Joseph Ernest Cox who died in 1910 was in hospital in 1901 in Bournemouth. If he is the chap I'm looking for, it still leaves Margaret at large. Also if I can find Margaret and she is with her husband, it would rule out this chap.

Brie

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »

Does the 1901 record for this Joseph say what his occupation is?

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Boot Makers Clerk, born West Newington London

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Winifred Amy Cox was born Bristol 1901.
1911 she is an adopted daughter of Margaret Ellen Cox, however if Joseph Cox and Margaret married 1897, she was not Joseph's daughter giving him the benefit of the doubt.
So whose daughter is she and will that help sort out Joseph's heritage?

A Cox family is associated with the Allen family of Cambridge - 1871 census  a Sarah Ann Cox, niece age 18 is staying with Margaret Ellen Allen family. Owen C Allen and wife Naomi.
Sarah' father being Charles Cox.

1861 Charles Cox has Owen C Allen lodger staying with him and Naomi Pont his sister in law (Charles'). Owen and Naomi later marry. 

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 February 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Winifred Amy Cox was born Bristol 1901

But the 1911 census (free index on Genes Reunited) shows birthplace London Wimbledon  :-\

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 February 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies. Margaret's aunt did indeed marry a Cox and I looked at their children to see if Margaret and Joseph were cousins but couldn't see any connection. He could belong to more distant family of course or it could just be a coincidence. I had also thought about Winifred possibly being a relation which was one of the reasons for trying to establish exactly who Joseph was and then looking at his relations.

Like you Jen, I have Winifred's birthplace as Wimbledon which I got from the 1911 census. Unfortunately, I seem to be going round in circles. Somewhere there must be the missing link  :)

Brie