Author Topic: Ebenezer Davidson, Norham, Northumberland - Lookup Assistance Please  (Read 1983 times)

Offline catherineh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezer Davidson, Norham, Northumberland - Lookup Assistance Please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 February 17 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

Thanks for the offer to look up the marriage in Norham. Not being able to look at physical records is the hardest part of searching from NZ, so all help is very much appreciated.

Your reply does makes more sense of the two marriages on the same day, though.  I wasn't aware that Presbyterian marriages were illegal at the time ... something else I've learned on this search!

Looks like we're back to trying to find a baptism for Ebenezer to see if a father's name is recorded.

Thanks again
Catherine

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 February 17 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't aware that Presbyterian marriages were illegal at the time ... something else I've learned on this search!

Hardwicke's Marriage Act 1753 - the elimination of clandestine/irregular marriages in England and Wales.  Though still acceptable in Scotland per Tedster's post no. 5.

Incidentally, welcome to rootschat Terry  :)

Christine

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
The LDS film no for the marriage at Norham is 2193523, Item 18, page 121, which is Norham Presbyterian Church, Baptisms 1753-1854, so I'm not sure how a marriage would be on that film ???

Can't remember offhand which one it was but I transcribed a presbyterian register for Northumberland FreeReg and, though the couples were married over the border, the minister recorded the marriages in his baptism register. Maybe this is a similar thing?

Boo

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Stumbled across Mi's for Norham while looking for something completely different! (There is a link to them on UKBMD). There are quite a few for the surname Davidson.

Found these:

Sacred to the memory of Ebeneeser Davidson, schoolmaster, Norham who departed this life 29th January 1845 in the 77th year of his age also Margaret his wife who died at Berwick January 5th AD 1850 in the 80th year of his age.

In memory of Agnes daughter of Ebeneeser Davidson,Tillmouth, who died August 23rd 1797 aged 3 years. Also George his son died August 4th 1801 aged 3 1/2 years. Also Alex Davidson his son who died November 14th 1810 aged 2 years.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline catherineh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 February 17 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you William - these notices confirm the approximate birth year for both Ebenezer and Margaret, which will help us narrow down our search for baptism records.

Also - have found out a bit more about Presbyterian marriages at the time.

There were some Presbyterian churches in Northumberland where the minister went to Scotland with the couple and performed the marriage there and then recorded it in the church record of the parish church in England. Given that there would be no marriage register, it is likely that the only one available to record the marriage would be the baptism one, which would explain this one of ours.

Certainly learning a lot about marriage customs and practice with this search - and I appreciate all the help you've been giving.  Couldn't do it without you all  :)

Catherine

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 April 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch website  which has a lot of errors
has Ebeneezer Davidson baptised at Wooler which is inland south of Norham There were a few churches in the Wooler area.