Author Topic: Tipper family in Lasswade, 1770  (Read 789 times)

Offline Patricia Greber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tipper family in Lasswade, 1770
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Anthony Tipper and Elizabeth Stockle who had three children in Lasswade, Midlothian. They had a son John before they came to the area. Anthony was a papermaker. There daughters Anne, Mary & Elizabeth.
After Elizabeth's baptism in 1770 I cannot seem to find any records of the family.

Son John joined the Royal Artillery and ended up in Canada. If anyone knows of any resources I can try to find out what happened to the family in Scotland I would appreciate any research tips as I am fairly new to Scotland research. (I have been on Scotlands People and Find My Past)
Dever, Melody, Jordan, Quigley, McMahon, McNamara, Loftus, Hodgins, McHugh, McGuinness, Cheatley - Ireland
Harrop, Murdie, Norton, Lee, Sharp - England
Jeffery, Stewart, Tipper - Scotland
Cudlipp

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Tipper family in Lasswade, 1770
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
treesrch,

My first thought would be to see if any monumental inscriptions have been published for the local cemetery (or cemeteries).

Have you contacted the Midlothian Local Studies and Archive Service? Someone there might be able to provide some useful info as to what resources are available for that time period:

https://www.midlothian.gov.uk/info/458/local_and_family_history/391/local_studies

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
treesrch,

I don't know if this will be relevant to your search, but I'll mention it as a possible lead, just in case.

I did a search on "Anthony Tipper" in Google Books. There was a result from the following publication:

A Dictionary of Members of the Dublin Book Trade 1550-1800
By Mary Pollard, Bibliographical Society (Great Britain)

There's an entry for Randall, Robert, papermaker; in it, there is a mention of an apprentice named Anthony Tipper who ran away from his service in 1756, and "anyone employing him will be prosecuted."

This might be a coincidence or a red herring but the occupation of papermaker makes me wonder if it's possible that your Anthony Tipper might have been from Ireland. If the trail in Scotland goes cold, perhaps it might be worthwhile to do some searching in the Dublin area, just in case he was from there and decided to return at some point?

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Patricia Greber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Josephine,
I did see an Anthony Tipper a couple of times in my research but I wasn't sure if it was worth pursuing. Your find on Google books seems like a great possibility. I will also give the Midlothian link a try.
Patricia
Dever, Melody, Jordan, Quigley, McMahon, McNamara, Loftus, Hodgins, McHugh, McGuinness, Cheatley - Ireland
Cudlipp

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
There was papermaking in Lasswade from about 1750 onwards, so it is highly likely that your man was living in the area because of his involvement in the trade. Given that Tipper is not a Scottish surname and given the information provided by the previous poster, it is highly likely that Anthony Tipper was from Ireland.

Did Anthony have a son George? A George Tipper, wholesale stationer in Edinburgh, was in 1834 appointed the trustee of the sequestrated estate of John Thomson, bookseller and stationer in Edinburgh ...  Search in the <a href="http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx">online catalogue</a> of the National Records of Scotland (enter simply Tipper in the searchbox). Click on the blue highlighted reference numbers to get a rough idea of the contents of each item. If you think anything there might be relevant, you can visit NRS yourself, or hire someone to visit and look at the items for you, or request an estimate from NRS for copies (digital copies) of any of the items. Obviously there's not going to be anything biographical about George in any of these documents (because they are not about George) ... this is just in case you know he is related to your Anthony and want to track Anthony's family ...

Offline Patricia Greber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you eilthireach

As far as I know there were three children born to Anthony but I haven't done an exhaustive search so George is a possibility.
I thank you for the information and tips you have provided!
Patricia
Cudlipp

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
My pleasure, Patricia! Good luck in your search!

Regards,
Josephine