Author Topic: Have you heard of NEWTON CAP [COMPLETED]  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Lylacmyst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Have you heard of NEWTON CAP [COMPLETED]
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Newton Cap was a Township in in St. Andrew Auckland, as shown on the map at http://maps.nls.uk/view/101100071#zoom=2&lat=3318&lon=4106&layers=BT
Township; Originally inhabitants of a small settlement or area and after 1100 divisions of a parish which had its own church. It held civil administrative functions to help the poor and most had been subsumed into parishes by 1866.
Stan

I am from Bishop Auckland. St Andrew Auckland covered Bishop Auckland and covered areas in the Bishop Auckland vicinity, probably around five to six miles outside of Bishop Auckland. Today, collective townships and villages that fell under St Andrew Auckland, are not known collectively as St Andrew Auckland, anymore as far as I'm aware. The term St Andrew Auckland, is never used........Newton Cap, is the area where the viaduct bridge is, that lies just on the road outside of the town of Bishop Auckland, heading to Toronto, Hunwick, direction. There are houses on this bank, across from this bank and beneath the viaduct. .....Very confusing, to those who will be and are unfamiliar to the area, ......not confusing however, to those born here. Hard to explain though.

Newton Cap today, could be hardly described as a town. It's basically a small area, with a viaduct, a few houses, adjoined directly to what is a town, the town of Bishop Auckland. I have personally always referred to the tiny area of Newton Cap, as just being Bishop Auckland. So has and does everyone else I know, who were born here. But of course, residents of centuries back, may have viewed it differently.

Offline Lylacmyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 17:45 BST (UK) »
To the initiator of this thread though. If you'd like some photos of Newton Cap and the way it looks today, I'd be happy enough to take some for you :)

Feel free to PM me.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Newton Cap today, could be hardly described as a town.

I said Newton Cap was a Township in St. Andrew Auckland. A Township is not a Town, historically it was a division of a parish, in this case of the parish of St. Andrew, Auckland, which formed a unit of local administration, it levied a separate Poor Rate and appointed a constable.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lylacmyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
Newton Cap today, could be hardly described as a town.

I said Newton Cap was a Township in St. Andrew Auckland. A Township is not a Town, historically it was a division of a parish, in this case of the parish of St. Andrew, Auckland, which formed a unit of local administration, it levied a separate Poor Rate and appointed a constable.

Stan

Lol, ok. I got a bit confused over towns and townships.