Author Topic: Thomas Atkinson  (Read 703 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Atkinson
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Please is there anyone who can help me with this branch of my family.  The information I have so far on this member is;
1. 1881 census he was a widower, railway clerk aged 77 and born in Scarborough but living in Claines Worcester with his daughter Jane aged 45.

2. On the 1871 census he was unmarried railway clerk aged 67 and born in Scarborough but living in lodgings  in Claines Worcester with Jane (age recorded as 78?) and she was from Leicester?

3.  On the 1861 census he was a married Drapers assistant aged 57 and born and living in Scarborough in William Street with his wife Mary who was recorded as 48.

4. On the 1851 census he was married aged 45 a letter carrier born in Scarborough.  Mary his wife is 38 from Whitby.  They have children Thomas aged 19 a telegraph clerk, Mary aged 17 house servant at home, Jane aged 15, Ellen aged 9 scholar, and Ann aged 7 all born in Scarborough The family are living in Back Union Street Scarborough

5. On the 1841 census Thomas isn't on this census his wife Mary is recorded as 35 and has children living with her Thomas aged 10, Mary aged 8, Jane aged 6, Catherine aged 4, and Ellen aged 1 all recorded as born in Yorkshire and living in Sepulchre Street Scarborough. Not found Thomas for 1841 anywhere.

I think Thomas married 28.04.1828 Scarborough to Mary Ann Ayres?

His date of birth according to census 1804 found one that said 1804 in Scarborough Bts parents Robert and Elizabeth Atkinson nee Abbott.

Their first child born 29.06.1829 in Scarborough was named William Abbott, followed by Thomas 13.04.1831, Mary Elizabeth 14.05.1833, Jane 07.08.1835, Catherine 1838-1846, Ellen 1840, and Ann 1845.

This is all the information I have what I am hoping is that someone can find Thomas Atkinson's date of birth and confirm that I am on the right track.  Also I wondered were he could be on the 1841 census.  Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction I seem to have stagnated on this branch.

Thomas Junior also moved to Worcester as he too was a railway clerk.  I have all his history it's his father that is my nemesis.

Eileen

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Atkinson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Just to confirm his wife's name, from GRO
Birth : Ann Atkinson  mmn   AYRE     
GRO 1844  M Quarter in Scarborough  Volume 24  Page 470

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes they did have a daughter Ann born circa 1845  also a daughter Ellen circa 1840

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 17 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Archbishop of York marriage licence gives his age as 24 born 1804 and Mary as 22.
The full thing from the Borthwick institute may give you more but it does say both of Scarborough.
I think you have the right parents and baptism in 8.1.1804.

The licence for his parents marriage gives them both as 27 22 May 1802.Robert is described as a Gentleman.

Looks like a brother William 1.2.1805.

Ciderdrinker

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ciderdrinker

Thanks for your input I thought there was another brother William so am happy so far even if all the census are contradictory and some not even found.

Thanks again
Eileen