Author Topic: Need help: 3 generations of Scrivens with death certs but no burial info  (Read 1603 times)

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help: 3 generations of Scrivens with death certs but no burial info
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm at a dead end.

I have three generations of Scrivens with death certificates but no burial records. These are only for the male line. Curiously enough I have burial records for their wives, except wife #4 for Joseph Charles Scriven.

I have looked in Ancestry's London burial records, Findmypast and Deceasedonline and found nothing.

John Scriven b 1818 d 24 Jul 1883 a clockmaker 19 Greville St, Holborn, Middlesex aged 64.

His wife Charlotte died in 1909 and was buried in Finchley on 6 Mar 1909.

James Scriven (son of John Scriven) b 1853 d 17 Jan 1897 10 Denmark Road, Islington a clockmaker

His wife Hannah died in 1936 and was buried in Abney Park Cemetery, Hackney

Joseph Charles Scriven (son of James Scriven) b 1878 d 19 Mar 1962 39 The Limes, Southgate, Wood Green a toolmaker

His fourth wife Mercy Elizabeth Scriven died in 1993 Enfield. No burial info.

Can anyone help?

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Need help: 3 generations of Scrivens with death certs but no burial info
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 20:42 GMT (UK) »
hi

all I would assume is that they were cremated and therefore there would not be any burial records.

I would suggest contacting the offices of the cemeteries where the wives were interred to check cremation records.

tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Maybe rather early for cremation?  I didn't think it became popular until well into the 20th Century, but am happy to be put right!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Maybe rather early for cremation?  I didn't think it became popular until well into the 20th Century, but am happy to be put right!

The first human cremation in the UK was in 1885! ;D
By the time cremation became legal in 1902, there were crematoria in Manchester, Glasgow, Hull, Liverpool, Golders Green and Woking.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
There are still quite a few London cemeteries whose records are not available online yet so unfortunately they could be buried in one of those.  There is also the possibility of course that the surname has been very badly mistranscribed.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
As you have exact dates of death for the others, contact Camden or Islington Councils and explain you have checked Deceased Online but not found them but have found others.

I don't know how complete the transcriptions are

https://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/community-and-living/births--deaths-and-marriages/deaths/cemeteries/;jsessionid=F21CEA3A5827086765538DC80233A2B5?context=live

http://iccslondon.co.uk/

I couldn't find Hannah on the Abney Park database  :-\

http://www.devsys.co.uk/ap/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 17 12:17 GMT (UK) »

I checked with Enfield Creamtorium, they have coverage for several cemeteries, including Tottenham, but there were no results.

Offline drhewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 17 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Charles d 1962 and Mercy Elizabeth died 1993 are most likely to have been cremated

http://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/crematoria-and-cemeteries/crematoria/find-a-crematorium/enfield-crematorium

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/births-death-and-marriages/bereavement/crematorium-and-cemetery-sites#record

Hi Dawn,

I checked Enfield crematorium but no luck there.

I wrote to Deceasedonline and this was their response: "The coverage section of Deceased Online will show you which cemeteries are already included. There are four of the Magnificent Seven cemeteries on the website so far, which are Highgate, Brompton, Kensal Rise and Nunhead."

hopefully they will release the other 3 Magnificent Seven burial records in due course.

I will check out the Camden link you sent.

Thank you

Daniel