Author Topic: Windows 10 keyboard stopped working after sign in  (Read 495 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Windows 10 keyboard stopped working after sign in
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Well..!

Yesterday evening my wireless keyboard decided to stop functioning mid Roots Magic data entry, not a good time! :o

Changed the battery... restarted and my pc and keyboard behaved for the rest of the evening.

This morning same thing happened again, turned on pc, signed in to Windows ok using the keyboard then nothing! though wireless mouse using the same usb sender works ok... Tried the original plug in USB keyboard, zilch!  Can't do a system restore in Windows 10 so over to ipad to search for possible answers...

Note... I did a backup first using the settings / ease of access onscreen keyboard to help do this!
tried reinstalling drivers, changing USB ports and every possible "supposed" work round failed.

Then to the last option which I found online and appeared too easy for words.

On the non-functioning wireless keyboard...
Press and hold the right shift key for about 10 seconds, release then hit the "number lock" key to see if it works.... Hey presto! keyboard working again  ::)

Now how that works is beyond me but this Windows 10 keyboard problem (according to online forum users) can happen at anytime.. rather randomly out of the blue!   For me, I first noticed the problem when I had a window pop up saying it was going to do something with the keyboard... easy access stuff.  Maybe I just pressed a key for a little too long, who knows, but it has never happened before.

Thought I would just share this with you and our other techies on the board.. just in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 keyboard stopped working after sign in
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Unless you are prepared to pay big bucks for expensive advice or repairs it looks like a back-up computer is vital for on-line help. 

Thank goodness people are prepared to share their experiences.  As you say most of things are beyond our understanding!  Thank you.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.