Author Topic: Rhyme Hall or Rymehall, Fawley, Hants  (Read 850 times)

Offline LizK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rhyme Hall or Rymehall, Fawley, Hants
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find out more information on a house or area of Fawley called Rhyme Hall or similar.  My great great granddad was born there in 1847, but I can't seem to find out much more.  Does anyone have further information?

Thanks
Liz

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhyme Hall or Rymehall, Fawley, Hants
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
ADVERT
RHYME HALL, FAWLEY to be LET, with immediate possession.The House is pleasantly situated, and contains spacious dining and drawing rooms, entrance hall, six bedrooms, water closet, good kitchen, laundry and capital cellars, three stalled stable, coachhouses, and every requisite. The whole stands upon nearly two acres of pleasure ground, kitchen garden, paddock etc.
For particulars apply to Mr A H Hogg, Cadland and Southampton.
(Hampshire Advertiser, 2 May 1857) 

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:41 GMT (UK) »
If you search the 1861 Census (FindMyPast) under reference RG09 671  44  4 it returns a page with a number of families born "Rhyme Halls, Fawley" although the first entry is spelled with a "y" (Rhyme Hall Falcon Inn) and the next entry with an "i" (Rhime Hall) dittoed to the foot of the page.

Offline LizK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for this.  Looking at the census it seems that Rhyme or Rhime Hall was the name of a hamlet in Fawley village.   :)

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
My 4xgreat grandfather George BANKS (1762-1832) lived in Rhyme Hall.  I came to the conclusion it was the part of Fawley village south of the Falcoln Inn, i.e. not a separate hamlet but part of the village.  There is a modern road named Rhyme Hall Mews in the area.

Offline LizK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 February 17 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Richard, I think there was a house called Rhyme Hall and also that part of the village was named after it.  The centre of the village has moved over time away from the church and school, to the Square near the Falcon Inn.