Author Topic: Freeserve Orange and Wanadoo Email Closure  (Read 24633 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Freeserve Orange and Wanadoo Email Closure
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

A number of people have email addresses from Freeserve Orange and Wanadoo

In an announcement by EE they announce that these email addresses will close on 31 May 2017

Here is the announcement:

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure

It affects all people with email addresses ending in:

Orange.net
Orangehome.co.uk
Wanadoo.co.uk
Freeserve.co.uk
Fsbusiness.co.uk
Fslife.co.uk
Fsmail.net
Fsworld.co.uk
Fsnet.co.uk

So please check what email address you are registered with, and if you do currently use one of the above email addresses then you will need to create a new email address and update your RootsChat "Profile" with it.

Here is the help page on that page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/profile01.php

If you do get stuck, or locked out of RootsChat, then please use the "Contact Support" button which you will find at the bottom of the help pages, and on the RootsChat welcome page.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Freeserve Orange and Wanadoo Email Closure
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trystan, I have an fsnet address, much to the amusement of many people as it's so old (and I am still with them, though now EE). I also have a gmail address so will update my profile now.

Although the accounts will close, do you know if I still be able to access my old emails as they are in Microsoft Outlook?  :-\
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Although the accounts will close, do you know if I still be able to access my old emails as they are in Microsoft Outlook?  :-\

You will still be able to access the old emails in Outlook but you will be able to download new ones once the email account is closed.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan, I have loads of old emails that I don't want to lose (probably should go through them but that will have to wait :( ).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trystan, I have a wanadoo email account which I use for nearly everything. I didn't know EE were going to do this.   >:(  Like Deirdre I want to keep old emails but they're not in Outlook.
Any advice on how to do this will be gratefully received!

Thanks

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 17 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Trystan....worth knowing.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 17 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Bit mad that we hear it on here first! Great customer service EE, thanks 🙄

Not only emails themselves but over the years i have accumulated many websites / newsletters using my fsnet address. Updating them all will be a pain 😫

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 February 17 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Bit mad that we hear it on here first! Great customer service EE, thanks 🙄

Not only emails themselves but over the years i have accumulated many websites / newsletters using my fsnet address. Updating them all will be a pain 😫

I agree!   >:(

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
In order to make sure you can see your emails after they discontinue the service, you need to set up your email software (such as Outlook) to download them.

If the email account preferences has a set up as "POP" (or POP3) then the emails will still be viewable after the service is discontinued.

If however it is set up as "IMAP" then the emails don't live on your computer, but just "appear" as if they do. They are actually on the remote email provider's servers. So if that mail service is removed, then so do the emails.

As far I can tell from a quick search, the Freeserve, Orange and Wanadoo emails are set up as "POP3", so once you check in your email settings to see if that is how yours is set up, then you can rest assured that your emails will remain after they pull the plug on the service.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.