Author Topic: Freeserve Orange and Wanadoo Email Closure  (Read 24615 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Freeserve Orange and Wanadoo Email Closure
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 06:44 GMT (UK) »
I had to ring EE yesterday as our broadband keeps losing its connection. Was only on the phone for 2.5 minutes (amazing) and they promised to check the line and ring back, which they did. Problem on line so they've contacted BT. All within 20 minutes, unheard of customer service 😀

But i've woken to an email confirmation of the fault number, sent to my fsnet address, and still no mention of the soon to be closed accounts 🙄
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 07:22 GMT (UK) »
No Deirdre no mention for me either.

I spent quite a little while yesterday setting up a new Gmail account & copying my contacts into it (the 'import' option didn't work) & going through my folders. I haven't finished yet but it's been a good 'housekeeping' activity.

I haven't found many old emails I really needed to keep but I just forwarded the most important to the new Gmail. Next job - contact Ancestry, Amazon etc etc to tell them the new email.

Thankfully we no longer rely on Orange for our broadband!

What a faff!  ::)

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 08:27 GMT (UK) »
It is a big faff 🙄 But getting there (i did already have a gmail account though).

We're with EE for broadband, mobiles and home phone!
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 15:40 GMT (UK) »
It's been just over a month since I posted this message, I wonder how those of you with these email addresses have got on so far in replacing them, or if you need any help at all?

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I've only recently had an official message from EE about this although they did give a link to ways of transferring emails - & recommended Gmail. Very glad I've got mine set up, thanks to your warning, Trystan,  & I'm gradually notifying the important people of the change.
Well actually so far I've only done the 2 most essential ones - Amaz*n & the library (vital for reserving Ebooks!) ;D

Rootschat already has my other Gmail address  ;)

Thank you again, Trystan.
Richardson - Rayne Essex

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Roopat, you're most welcome.

Good to see your so well organised. :)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Trystan. I've "only" been using my orange email address(es) for about 20 years - and been a customer since 1989 - so I can't for the life of me imagine why I thought they might have let me know. After all, they periodically send me an email to say that I am about to lose the address as I haven't logged in for however long. (Clearly they couldn't recognise POP3/ SMTP access when it bit them in the bum either.)

<grump> Why does EE incompetence fail to surprise me any more? </grump>

Best
Stitch
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »

Good to see your so well organised. :)

Trystan

Me organised  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pat
Richardson - Rayne Essex

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 14 March 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I've still not heard from EE personally, though I have looked at their website.

I've re-set a lot of online accounts to my gmail address, and check my freeserve emails every day, unsubscribing the ones I don't want and updating those I do - but had forgotten. Hopefully these are now getting fewer!

Thanks again for looking after us Trystan  ;D