Author Topic: KINLOCHLEVEN (Aluminium) EDWIN ORGAN + Edinburgh death  (Read 1904 times)

Offline pinner-girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
KINLOCHLEVEN (Aluminium) EDWIN ORGAN + Edinburgh death
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 16:01 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors retired from a distinguished army career in the Royal Engineers & came to work for Sir John Jackson in Kinlochleven in 1907.  He brought his wife & children with him & their first address was 16 Leven Road which I know is still there. They had more children in Scotland and they next lived at Ardgour House, Kinlochleven (which obviously wasn't the big one owned by the Macleans).  Judging by the 1911 Census it was next door to Arden House and the enumerator then walked to River Bank Cottage, a small Hospital, Bridge End & the Bungalow etc.  I would be really interested to know whether these places are still there.

The story ends with another mystery.  Poor EDWIN ORGAN developed appendicitis which then turned to peritonitis and he died in Edinburgh Infirmary in Feb 1911 so presumably he had been taken there in a desperate effort to save his life. His death was recorded by a hospital porter but I don't know where he would have been buried. The family seem to have been Catholic because they married in a Catholic Church in Somerset and at least one of their children had a Catholic burial.

I would love to know what happened to Edwin after his death. Sadly, his wife Helen gave birth to a daughter just 2 days after he died and this little girl was born at Ardgour House in Kinlochleven.  Her birth was notified by the neighbour named WILLIAM LEVACK who lived in Arden House.

It would be wonderful if anybody could help to fill in the gaps.

Thank you and best wishes,

Sylvia

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: KINLOCHLEVEN (Aluminium) EDWIN ORGAN + Edinburgh death
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Odd why they would ship him off to Edinburgh and not Perth, but I suspect he was returned home and lays in a nearby Catholic Cemetery or even Kinlochleven Cemetery close to his family.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Syliva and Don

There is a death in the RC death/burial registers on SP for a possible son. Edwin Organ, aged 4.

Futher details given:
Burial date, 16/7/1901
Lair
Parish: Shorncliffe, The Name of Jesus

Monica  :)

Added: Can't figure out where this may be. Wondered whether if it was a family lair, this may be were Edwin Snr may also have been buried (assuming the death of young Edwin in 1901 is connected). Possible ref to Army records?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »

The family seem to have been Catholic because they married in a Catholic Church in Somerset and at least one of their children had a Catholic burial.

Just additional details from SP. Additonal RC records for them. Baptisms of some of the children:

Edwin ORGAN b. 6/12/1896, chr. 4/1/1897
Cairo, Military Vicariate
Military or outside Scotland

Cyril ORGAN b. 9/5/1900 chr. 28/5/1900
Shorncliffe, The Name of Jesus

Helen Mary ORGAN b. 10/12/1898 and chr. 30/12/1898
Aldershot, General Registry

Monica

PS: Doesn't help with burial details for Edwin Snr so far...

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinner-girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much to everybody who so kindly replied and it was great to see the baptisms of some of the other children.  The burial of Edwin junior (aged 4) took place in Aldershot where the army barracks had a military cemetery (at Shorncliffe) with a Catholic burial section. I never really gave much thought as to why Edwin senior was taken from Kinlochleven to Edinburgh if there was a nearer large hospital. He had been ill for 5 days with appendicitis/peritonitis according to the death record.

I visited Scotland a few years ago to see where my great grandmother had come from (Torbrex) and did then go to Kinlochleven because of the Edwin connection (my father's side).  I was able to see Leven Road but didn't know anything about the move to Ardgour House or I would have tried to find out about that.  He was initially listed as Inspector of Huts and then as House Superintendent at the time of his death.  I'm wondering whether Ardgour House was some kind of large building housing aluminium workers. Edwin had been a Troop Sergeant Major in the Boer War and after his death, widow Helen moved her family back to the Kent area.

Thanks again to you all for your help.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Perth wasn't readily accessible from Kinlochleven, Fort William was nearest or by train to Glasgow.

Skoosh.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Shorncliffe has been associated with the Royal Engineers since the Peninsular war and is/war the army's school of military engineering.

Yours Aye
BruceL