Author Topic: Grace Green  (Read 1843 times)

Offline j1mbr0wn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Grace Green
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hoping for some help with the birth records of Grace. 1881 Kirkcolm is all i have and that comes from Census, Grace is my G Aunt and i would like to find out some more.

What i have is a d21/06/1921, m1901 to William James McCulloch

1891, 1901 Census.

Father was John Green b1861, d1941 m1894 to Mary Laverie.

I have most if not all of johns children 10 at the moment but i cannot find Grace, i dont believe that she is Marys daughter as Mary would have been 12.

I cannot find a Birth certificate because she probably has her mothers name on there i suspect, check all the other Grace's in Kirkcolm at that time draws a blank as i can trace them to another family.

Bit of brick wall here, can anyone offer any other ideas to find her, church records maybe a way but i would need to go to Mitchell Library for that.

Thank you for looking.

Jim Brown

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Green
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Isn't her mothers name on either her marriage or death cert?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 18:30 GMT (UK) »
If John Green only married Mary Laverie in 1894 - was he previously married if Grace was born 1881?

What is his marital status on the 1891 entry?

In 1901 Grace (Gracie) is with her grandmother Mary Green as she & John were in 1891.  I suspect she may be illegitimate and used John's name when she married

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 February 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »
In 1891, John Green aged 29 b Portpatrick is with his mother Mary Green aged 60 b Stoneykirk

1881 - John Green 18 b Portpatrick is with his mother Elizabeth aged 50 b Stoneykirk and also sister Elizabeth aged 20.

My guess is that Grace is Elizabeth's illegitimate daughter

Offline j1mbr0wn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 February 17 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Birth and Death cert says Mary Laverie is the mother.

I cannot find another marriage for John and in 1881 Census he is with mother and sister, 1891 Census he is with Mother and Grace.

Now Elizabeth has another child b1881 called Marion E Green, i never thought that is could possibly be a sisters child.

There is another sister of Johns Margaret and from the Catholic records i think (there not that clear) that they were twins. b19/07/1855.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 February 17 19:17 GMT (UK) »
What was John's marital status on the 1891 entry?  Was he single or a widower?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Jim, as you know, these types of searches can be hard to pick up the initial detail on. As you suspect, if she illegitimate, have  you checked possible births in Kirkcolm under different surnames?

Not many showing on SP:

Grace KERR 1881...can see this Grace in 1901 I think as Kerr so likely not this one.
Grace SMITH 1881...also, can see this Grace in 1901 I think as Smith so likely not this one.
Grace Lochhead MCCASKIE 1882...can't easily see this Grace under McCaskie in later censuses.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk