Author Topic: Death at Sea  (Read 1576 times)

Offline althomoore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death at Sea
« on: Saturday 11 February 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
How would I find records of an ancestor that died a sea?

I have always been told that my Great Grandfather died at sea when my Grandmother was very young. His name was Bryan O'Connor (or Connor) and was living in Glengarriff Cork. Before he retired he was a sailor with HMR Navy and I believe he was a civil sailor after he retired. From my research I am estimating that he died between 1915 and 1921.

He was married to Nora Shea in 1911, had a daughter, Mary O'Connor (my grandmother) in 1912 and a son, William O'Connor, in 1916. Nora remarried in 1922 to Timothy Crowley-Keoghan.

I have the marriage records for Bryan and Nora and the birth record for my grandmother.
I don't have the death record for Bryan O'Connor or the birth record for William O'Connor.
Moore, Kiernan, O' Sullivan, O' Connor
Other names I know of are:
O' Shea, O' Leary, Guilfoyle (Kilfoyle), Davis, Barrett, O' Neil, McKenna, Donlon, Flanagan, Lynn and McLoughlan

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Death at Sea
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 February 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKDeathsAtSea.html

Closest Crowley/O'Shea marriage I can see was in 1929. That Nora stated she was a spinster.

If same Nora, then your potential timescale for death of Bryan could be wider than you have said.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 February 17 22:51 GMT (UK) »

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 17 03:13 GMT (UK) »
He was a sailor in the RN or RNR. His address in 1911 at the time of his marriage is given as  "Medusa ship". This is HMS Medusa, a Royal Navy cruiser, stationed in Bantry Bay from 1910-1917.
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/marathon_class.htm
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
See paragraph ''Other Genealogy Sources available at the General Register Office ''
http://timeline.ie/general-register-office/

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Loss of H.M.S. Medusa Confirmed ...”

"sank after all her crew had been taken off her"

"without any casualty - a fine piece of seamanship."

March 29, 1916 - Belfast News-Letter

could it be that not all the crew were rescued after all or, did he retire after this and died later on a commercial ship?

The Medusa was off the German coast at the time.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 February 17 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Loss of H.M.S. Medusa Confirmed ...”

"sank after all her crew had been taken off her"

"without any casualty - a fine piece of seamanship."

March 29, 1916 - Belfast News-Letter

could it be that not all the crew were rescued after all or, did he retire after this and died later on a commercial ship?

The Medusa was off the German coast at the time.

There must be some mistake here. Multiple reference works show Medusa survived the war, and was scrapped in 1920. In 1917 she was in Cobh.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 February 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I think we have some confusion here.

Two different ships - Marathon Class Cruiser - HMS MEDUSA survived the war and sold in 1920.
Medea Class Destroyer - HMS MEDUSA lost 1916 after a collision with HMS LAVEROCK.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 February 17 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I think we have some confusion here.

Two different ships - Marathon Class Cruiser - HMS MEDUSA survived the war and sold in 1920.
Medea Class Destroyer - HMS MEDUSA lost 1916 after a collision with HMS LAVEROCK.

Regards
Hugh

Thanks for clearing that up! I am astonished that they had two ships in commission at the same time with the same name. We are probably not the first to be confused...