Author Topic: Soutar in Angus in 19th century  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Bruce42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soutar in Angus in 19th century
« on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the parents, siblings etc., of Jane Soutar born 1832 died 1928, who married Andrew Robbie in Clova, Angus. Her daughter was Ann Winter Robbie (1856-1936), my great grandmother, who married David Ogilvy, at Whitehaugh, Glen Clova, 11 December 1878.
ogilvy, larg, row, rowe, house, bendall, hodgetts, hawker, clarke, ancell, stenton-dozey, chaplin, robbie, bartlett, christie, robson, soutar, winter, little

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Soutar in Angus in 19th century
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 17 12:11 GMT (UK) »

Go to Scotland's People https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk buy the minimum credits.

Go to Statutory Records Select Deaths type in Soutar and other names Robbie and you will get this.

SOUTAR JANE 94 1928 278/ 2 Cortachy and Clova

Download this records and it will give you her parents and additional information such as where she lived, cause of death, who the informant was, etc.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 17 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTV9-LHZ

You can download that marriage certificate from the ScotlandsPeople website(credits required) , that should give you the parents of Jane Soutar.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Bruce42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 17 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks DonM and ev
I do realise that it is difficult to get information in Scotland without paying.  However, if I identified the parents, I would want their parents and siblings, so that it can become never ending.  Consequently, I try to get family tree information from sites where I don’t have to pay - in principle.
ogilvy, larg, row, rowe, house, bendall, hodgetts, hawker, clarke, ancell, stenton-dozey, chaplin, robbie, bartlett, christie, robson, soutar, winter, little

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 17 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTV9-LHZ

You can download that marriage certificate from the ScotlandsPeople website(credits required) , that should give you the parents of Jane Soutar.

ev

and as a bonus, an 1855 marriage registration should note the birthplaces of those marrying.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 17 03:48 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that in 1861 Ann Winter Robbie is not with her parents and siblings but living with her maternal grandfather,  John Soutar, at Drums, Clova. He is a Blacksmith born 1799 in Airlie. Also in the household are Alexander Soutar age 22 born Clova (who is described as a servant but probably John's son);Alex Milne age 6 born Fearn, a grandson; Ann Robbie age 5 born Clova, a grandaughter; and Helen Robbie age 18 born Clova, a Housekeeper.
Can't find John Soutar in 1851, but in 1841 he is living at Drums, age 44 occupation Blacksmith. With him are a number of children as follows:-
Ann 15
May 10
Jean 8
William 6
George 4
Alex 2
Andrew 1 month

From Familysearch these all appear to be the children of John Soutar and Ann Crighton. May was christened Marjory and Jean was christened Jane ( in 1833). Their mother Ann is not present but there is a servant,Margaret Moir, listed. Familysearch also lists another son called Charles born in 1830 but he is missing from the census so may have died young.
While I believe this is the correct family, the 1855 marriage of Jane to Andrew Robbie should go a long way to proving the facts conclusively.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Bruce42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Extremely useful!

That little girl, Ann Winter Robbie, married David Ogilvy in 1878, and I am a direct descendent.

It is said that she went to school with John Brown, favourite ghillie of Queen Victoria.
A fine elegant statuesque lady of 5'11".
Known in the family as "Big Granny". 
[Her mother, Jane Soutar was "Little Granny" who died in 1928.]
Until married, she lived at Whitehaugh, Clova.
Survived 44 years after her husband's death, bringing up seven children and running 3000 acre farm.  The sheep on the farm were most probably the old white face breed, small and hardy with fine wool.  The local sheep in 21st century are still branded "OR" = Ogilvy Rottal.
Later at Crossmill where much of the family spent their holidays.
She died in 1936.

Best wishes

Bruce42

Offline JanBarnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
John SOUTER (note spelling) and Ann Crichton were the parents of Jane (later called Jean on the 1841 Census). On the 1841 Census, John is living at Drums with daughters Ann, May (Marjory), Jean (Jane) & sons William, George, Alexander & Andrew. Their son Charles, born 1830, is not listed with them although there is a Charles the right age on the St Cyrus Parish Census. He certainly hadn’t died as he made his way somehow (I’m still trying to trace his arrival) to Australia in the 1850’s, where he set up as a blacksmith in Eltham, just outside Melbourne. He was my great-great grandfather. He married and had seven children, only two of whom survived to adulthood, one my great-grandmother Eba Jean.

In the 1851 Census, John is at Drums with children Ann, James, Charles, Alexander & Andrew. No wife Ann is listed on either Census and I can’t find any of them at Drums in the 1861 Census. Where did you find that, IsobelW? I also can’t find a death that tallies with our Ann Crichton/Souter. Anyone have any clues?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 December 17 04:47 GMT (UK) »
John SOUTER (note spelling)
Please don't attach any significance to spelling until about the end of the 19th century. Spelling was at the whim of whoever was writing the word or name down, and a clerk in a different parish, or the same clerk at a different time, might spell the same name in a different way.

Note that the surnames of the family that Isobelw found at Drums in 1861 are spelled Soutar not Souter. 

and Ann Crichton were the parents of Jane (later called Jean on the 1841 Census).
Jane and Jean are totally interchangeable. It is very common indeed for someone recorded as Jane in one record to turn up as Jean in another, and vice versa. (The same applies, less logically, to Janet and Jessie, and there are other pairs including Donald/Daniel and Peter/Patrick.)

I take it from the posts above that this is Drums in Clova rather than Drums in the parish of Brechin (or any other place called Drums). That being so, it is very likely that no record survives of Ann Crichton's death. Presumably she died before 1851, as she wasn't in either the 1841 or 1851 census, but the SP web site lists no record in the surviving parish register of the parish of Cortachy and Clova, and the book of pre-1855 monumental inscriptions does not list her in Cortachy, Clova or Glen Prosen kirkyards.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.