Author Topic: Stevenson's in Basford  (Read 874 times)

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stevenson's in Basford
« on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone out there who belongs to or knows of a family named Stevenson from the Basford area from around 1850 to 1920 time frame. Do you have someone in your family tree named Stevenson from that area?
I have come to a dead end on one of the lines on my tree and feel sure that the answer lies in Basford.
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson's in Basford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Some names and dates would help as Basford cover's a big area and lots of Stevenson's
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 February 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh really. I thought it was a small village. Sorry. I am looking for a family in or around a Stevenson family with the names Edward and/or Alwyn. I need an Edward Stevenson born around 1883 give or take 10 years who had a strong connection with Alwyn and possibly a Wilfred.

Then I have to confirm that they were missing from the area between 1913 and 1931.

I think that there must have been quite a few Stevensons in that Basford area during that time. I did find one named Alwyn but I have discounted him as he was out of England between 1913 and 1920 in the navy. Any help would be really appreciated as this is a search problem that has mistified me for about 15 years now.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 February 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Can you give more detailed information?
Basford is a suburb of Nottingham
then there is Basford registration district which covers part of Nottinghamshire and parts of Derbyshire -a very wide area
Stevenson is not an uncommon name and sometimes is transcribed as Stephenson
so you can understand the problems in searching and in being certain you have the correct person
Edward Stevenson "born 1883 give or take ten years" so born 1873-1893?? Surely that can be narroed down - and where was he born -where did you find information on Edward??
when and where was Alwyn born??
when and where was Wilfred born ?
What kind of connection did they have? friends? relatives? employers?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 February 17 13:38 GMT (UK) »
there is a Francis Edward Olwyn Stevenson baptised 10 Nov 1895 Hallam Fields Derbyshire
His birth is registered in Basford reg district
He had a brother Wilfred Dennis b 1909 Ilkeston Derbyshire
their parents were Jesse Stevenson (b Whysall) and Sarah Jane Barber (I think Sarah Jane died 1911)

are these anything to do with the family you are seeking??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
You are all very kind in taking an interest and trying to help. If you follow the link posted by larkspur, who replied above, you will access a previous post which I did some time ago when trying to find out some answers to this same problem. All the answers to your questions are there.

I do hope that this time I might have some luck and someone out there who lives in the area might be able to find out the answer for me. I am at a complete deadend. I have tried everything I can think of and have tried every avenue but they all turned out to be blind avenues. My mind is open to any suggestions you might have no matter how out there they might be.

Towdlass

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Just reading back over your last post.
Checking your grandma's marriage 1934 she used her maiden name, do you have the certificate? Would be interesting to see if she said she was a spinster?

There is also a marriage in 1906 between Edith Annie Toulson and Enoch Harrison. This couple are with her parents on the census. Frederick and Elizabeth Toulson.
This Edith Annie was born 1883. There is another Edith Annie born 1891. I am thinking the 1891 birth is your Gran? With parents George and Annie.

On a positive note, have a little patience, the 1921 census will be out in a few years hopefully  8)
At least then you may get Edwards birth year  and place, if he was playing nicely and living with the family of course. I am waiting for it to come out also for a few of my Houdini's....
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 17 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi larkspur,

Yes, you are correct in everything you say. She did use her maiden name when she married in 1934 and did state that she was a spinster. The marriage in 1906 with Enoch Harrison is not my gran. I have got this certificate as I thought it might be interesting but it is someone completely different.

You are also correct in saying that I will have to wait until 2021 but as I get older I onlytend to live for today. Tomorrow is never certain. That may sound pessimistic but I just think it's being a realist. I hope to still be around in 2021 but you can't be certain, can you? That's why I keep searching and can't seem to stop myself.

I've been looking again at deaths between 1930 and 1935 for Edward Stevensons in Sheffield and there are none. Do you know if and how I could access records of inmates in the infirmary of the local workhouses? I did wonder if he might perhaps be ill. Clutching at straws I know but who knows, one of these straws might be the right one.