Author Topic: Daniel Watson Richardson and Eleanor Reed of Longbenton  (Read 7379 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Watson Richardson and Eleanor Reed of Longbenton
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 December 17 23:48 GMT (UK) »
but unable to move forward from this re dates and places of birth and 1831 and 1841 census

There wasn't a 1831 census as such and the 1841 won't give you an exact place of birth, just whether or not they were born in the county where they were living.
I was hoping through identifying household members / siblings I might get more leads. Any ideas what I could look at next?
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 December 17 01:43 GMT (UK) »
1841 census Backworth Earsdon

George Richardson age 30 ag. lab  born in county Yes
Jane 25
Ann 15
John 15
Bartholomew 10
William 9

Did not see Daniel Watson Richardson
Looks like Bartholomew married Susannah Carr 1850 and William married Ann Bryon 1854

There is another couple George 35 and Jane 35 in Tynemouth 1841 he is a mariner living on Bedford Street
Daughter Jane age 14, Thomas age 12 and Ann age 15

I would get the birth certificate to verify parents, did a brother of George marry a Watson?

I’ve been looking at the Backworth family again. I’m wanting opinions on whether this could be something (or is my imagination running wild)

I’m not too familiar with Northumberland geography, but have pieced together this, based on the fact Killingworth, Seghill and Burradon are all in close proximity.

Daniel Watson Richardson, b 1838 in Longbenton, except one census states born in Killingworth

1841 census has a Daniel Richardson, aged 4, living in Seghill (in one of the rows), with a whole host of Richardson’s in two neighbouring houses, all of whom are miners except the women and Daniel aged 4. From the way the names are listed, and the ages, it isn’t obvious who the parents are...

1841 census mentioned in Backworth is actually for Burradon specifically. Parents George Richardson and Jane as well as sister Ann fit the correct ages as you’ve said, but there’s no Daniel. This is a household of farmers.

Could it be that this is Daniels family, and they have moved him to live with Richardson relatives in nearby Seghill, or he is visiting at time of census. My Daniel later went on to become an agricultural labourer, not a miner.

Any thoughts what I should do next to explore this theory? I suppose to try to find the relationship between the adults of the 2 households. Any thoughts anyone?
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 December 17 10:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 census Brenkley, next door to widowed George Richardson, daughter Ann and son Daniel Watson Richardson, is a Swinney Family. Includes an unmarried daughter Sarah, aged 38, born Woodhorn.

A marriage in Newcastle, 1858, George Richardson and one of two possible brides is Sarah Swinhoe.

1861 census, Sandy Ford, Bolam,
George Richardson, 56, Farm Labourer, b. Mitford,
Sarah Richardson, 50, wife, b. Woodhorn.
RG9/3852/53/6

By 1871 Sarah is widowed, still living in Bolam, transcribed as Eichardson on you know what, living with Swinhoe relatives.

Needs more work but marriage cert will give Georges Fathers name and occupation, assuming he declared it.

There is a baptism of a George Richardson in Mitford, born 30 Nov 1799, baptized 22 Dec 1799. Parents Daniel Richardson and his wife Isabel, formerly Allison, of Benridge, 3rd son, father Native of Longbenton, mother native of Longhoughton.

A bit older than your George ages on census, but Daniel and Isabel have another son Daniel Richardson baptized 1805 Longhorsley.

In 1861 census, your Daniel Watson Richardson appears to be working for this Daniel Richardson. Daniel Richardson, age 56, Farmer of 65 acres at Bedlington Lane Farm, where your Daniel, listed as Watson Richardson, presumably to differentiate him from the Farmer, is working as a Farm Labourer.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 December 17 10:14 GMT (UK) »
As for the Backworth question, I think it's worth looking at further.

Killingworth was part of Longbenton parish and Backworth, Burradon and Seghill part of the neighbouring parish of Earsdon.  If you can work out a relationship between the Richardsons in Seghill and your family it would help.

Christine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:14 GMT (UK) »
As for the Backworth question, I think it's worth looking at further.

Killingworth was part of Longbenton parish and Backworth, Burradon and Seghill part of the neighbouring parish of Earsdon.  If you can work out a relationship between the Richardsons in Seghill and your family it would help.

Christine

Thank you Christine for letting me know the parishes. I’m having to look everything up and have maps all over my wall!!

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I think the Backworth family in 1841 (minus Daniel) is the right one. The Daniel in Seghill is just an Ancestry mistranscription though, his real name is Daniel Ord, family above is Richardson, Ancestry must have assumed his fathers surname Ord was a ditto.

Some baptisms that fit the 1841 family :

Newburn - 28 March 1824. Ann, dau of George Richardson, Husbandman, and Jane, of Whorlton.

Ponteland - 17 Sep 1826. John, son of George Richardson, Hind, and Jane, of Black Callerton, Newburn Parish.

Ponteland - 22 Aug 1830, Bartholomew, son of George Richardson and Jane, of Donkins Houses, Newburn Parish.

There is a John Richardson age 53, born Ponteland,  living in Gateshead in 1881 census with his family, including wife Rebecca and son Bartholomew aged 5. A baptism at Gateshead, born 28 June 1875, baptized 2 Aug 1875, Batholomew Watson Richardson, son of John and Rebecca.

The Ann Gallon who is a witness at Daniel Watson Richardsons marriage, 28 Nov 1859, Newcastle St. Andrew. A marriage at Newcastle St. Andrew 7 Nov 1859. Ann Richardson, Spinster, daughter of George Richardson, and Thomas Gallon, Widower.

Alan. 
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I think the Backworth family in 1841 (minus Daniel) is the right one. The Daniel in Seghill is just an Ancestry mistranscription though, his real name is Daniel Ord, family above is Richardson, Ancestry must have assumed his fathers surname Ord was a ditto.

Newburn - 28 March 1824. Ann, dau of George Richardson, Husbandman, and Jane, of Whorlton.

Ponteland - 17 Sep 1826. John, son of George Richardson, Hind, and Jane, of Black Callerton, Newburn Parish.

Ponteland - 22 Aug 1830, Bartholomew, son of George Richardson and Jane, of Donkins Houses, Newburn Parish.

There is a John Richardson age 53, born Ponteland,  living in Gateshead in 1881 census with his family, including wife Rebecca and son Bartholomew aged 5. A baptism at Gateshead, born 28 June 1875, baptized 2 Aug 1875, Batholomew Watson Richardson, son of John and Rebecca.

The Ann Gallon who is a witness at Daniel Watson Richardsons marriage, 28 Nov 1859, Newcastle St. Andrew. A marriage at Newcastle St. Andrew 7 Nov 1859. Ann Richardson, Spinster, daughter of George Richardson, and Thomas Gallon, Widower.

Alan.

Alan, I don’t know how you get this information so quickly! I did wonder about the Ord / Richardson issue and wasn’t entirely sure. I had never heard of Ord as a surname, and I thought it had been corrected to mean a ditto. For evidence to lead towards the Backworth family being the right one, there is obviously the names and dates for George, Jane and Ann (but there are several sets of them that fit) but are you suggesting then that son John perhaps was also John Watson Richardson (like brother Daniel) and hence named his son Barthomlomew Watson Richardson carrying on the family name? It looks promising...
I wonder what happened to Daniel for 1841 census..
Exciting, it is looking like there is some progress at last

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 December 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Christine for letting me know the parishes. I’m having to look everything up and have maps all over my wall!!

If you haven't already got it, this place-name index from Genuki is very well worth bookmarking. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/Gazetteer
It gives place-names and the parishes within which they were located.
Each parish page is also accompanied by a small location map.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 December 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »

Alan.

Hi Alan, I've started to look through this now. I've come across a bit of a problem in that I'd estimated Janes birth to be circa 1806 based on daughter Ann being born in 1824 (which would be confirmed by the Backworth 1841 census as well as your suggested baptism which looks likely for the Backworth Ann in March 1824. According to the Backworth 1841 census, mother Jane was born in 1816, which puts her as aged 8 when she had Ann. I know that there are errors and people lie, but it seems very far out...I'll keep following it through though and see where it takes me...