Author Topic: Daniel Watson Richardson and Eleanor Reed of Longbenton  (Read 7351 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Watson Richardson and Eleanor Reed of Longbenton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I’m a regular visitor to Northumberland archives so a lookup with precise date and location only takes a few minutes.  Here is your marriage

St. Andrew’s parish church, Newcastle

28th November 1859  By Banns

Daniel Watson Richardson, of full age, Bachelor, Husbandman, living in Gallowgate.
Father George Richardson, Husbandman

Eleanor Reed, of full age, Spinster, living in Gallowgate. Father William Reed, Husbandman

Daniel signed his name and Eleanor made her mark

Witnesses – Sarah Watson (who signed)  and Ann Gallon (who made her mark)

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 February 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention

How sure are you that Eleanor Reed came from Meldon?  I ask because it’s a tiny parish (in 1831 there were only 114 inhabitants) and I can see only one family called Reed and no-one named Eleanor.  There is a daughter called Ellen baptised in 1831 and the father’s name is William. 

Would you like the details?

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 February 17 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your help with this. This is where the confusion starts.

In the 1871 census
Eleanor Richardson born 1837 in Meldon married to
Daniel W Richardson born 1838 in Longbenton

This is definitely my couple. The birthplace appears to read Meldon, but a second pair of eyes to look at it would be good

In the 1861 census
Ellen Richardson born 1834 in Callerton (looks like a completely different person doesn't it) married to
Watson Richardson born 1838 in Killingworth (so this looks likely to be the same man)

The reason I think that the Ellen and Eleanor are one and the same is that the 2 eldest children match name, date and birthplace wise on both census.

So the 2 different birth places (and dates) make it confusing and hard to track down the mother and family, even with the fathers name and occupation
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 February 17 10:59 GMT (UK) »
The reason I think that the Ellen and Eleanor are one and the same is that the 2 eldest children match name, date and birthplace wise on both census.

I agree, the two eldest children have mother with the maiden name Reed.

Looks like Meldon to me as well.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 February 17 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Meldon parish records have the following Reed baptisms

21 June 1818   Elizabeth daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Lane House
25 March 1821   John son of William and Margaret Reed, hind of Meldon Lane House
12 May 1823   Joseph son of William and Margaret Reed, hind of Lane House
28 Aug. 1825   Susannah daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Meldon
22 June 1828   Margaret daughter of William and Margaret Reed, labourer of Meldon
1 May 1831   Ellen daughter of William and Susannah Reed, labourer of Meldon

I’m certain that this last entry is an error and that her mother was also Margaret.  Firstly the Northumberland marriage index 1813 – 1837 shows no William Reed being married to a Susannah and also the census record for 1851 still names Margaret as William’s wife so there is no indication that she died and he remarried.

Do any of these names crop up in the family?

Christine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 February 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again Christine for all your efforts. Did you see my post above #11?

So far I only have Ellen (or Eleanor) and her father William in the tree. (And her husband and children etc)

If the Meldon Reeds above are the right ones, then we have yet another year of birth for Ellen - 1831, which I suppose is entirely possible.

As yet, I haven't identified the family for certain which is what I'm trying to do, so I don't have the siblings names.

It would be great if this is the right Ellen, but the confusion is the varying dates of birth and also the Callertob birth place on the other census.

I'm not sure what I should do next, whether I explore the Callerton option and see if that throws up a more likely person, and then if it doesn't, by default, the Meldon Reed family has to be the correct one....
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 February 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear - I meant did any of those names crop up in Eleanor's children/grandchildren?

I'm not sure how you would follow up the Callerton angle.  It would either be the parish of Ponteland (High Callerton and Little Callerton) or Newburn (Black Callerton) - there isn't a parish called Callerton.

Actually, she really is a bit of a mystery.  In 1851 her birth place is given as Eshington!

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 February 17 23:53 GMT (UK) »
I've just looked at the '61 and '71 census (perhaps I should have done this before!)

On Find my past her birth year is shown as 1834 on both census returns and, since she's obviously a little older than her husband, I think it's simply vanity that is making her lie  ;D

Her daughters' names are useful - Elizabeth and Margaret are fairly common but Susannah is not so frequently used.  These are the names of Meldon Ellen's sisters so my vote is that your Eleanor is the girl from Meldon.

Christine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear Christine

I’m not able to find anything about this Meldon Reed family apart from the baptisms. I agree that is seems as if this is my Margaret, but I can’t find any other information whatsoever, and no matching families from Ancestry or MyHeritage. I am guessing they were only in Meldon for a short time, and perhaps the children lived away from the parents or the parents died, but I can track the children either.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Thanks, Christian