Author Topic: NELSON/NEILSON & MURPHY RUTHERGLEN SCOTLAND  (Read 2335 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
NELSON/NEILSON & MURPHY RUTHERGLEN SCOTLAND
« on: Sunday 12 February 17 14:50 GMT (UK) »
On Friday I paid a visit to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

I acquired a certain amount of new information but nowhere near enough to finish this branch of my family tree. I'm hoping for some help please.....

My Great Great Grandfather John Nelson married Catherine Murphy, He was born around 1841 in Ireland to Thomas Nelson and Mary McCowie.

I have no information on his early life other than that and I'm unaware of any brothers or sisters. John and Catherine lived in Rutherglen before moving to Stevenston, Ayrshire. They had several children

James Nelson (1865 - 1942) Never married
Joseph (1867 - 1868) Infant death
John (1869 - 1871) Infant death
Mary (1871 - 1872) Infant death
William (1873 - 1942) married Mary McNamara - They had no children but adopted Mary's sisters illegitimate child William McHardy later changed his name to William Nelson - William married Elizabeth Keenan but I cant find out much more than that - No death certificate for him - I do know he had 2 sons William Thomas Nelson and Thomas Gerald Nelson - I'm told William was in the RAF but cant find any information despite searching through FindMyPast

Jane (1881 - 1881) Infant death
Thomas (1888 - ?)

Is this number of infant deaths nrmal for this time in history - it is rather alarming?

Any help any one can give would be very very appreciated

P

McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NELSON/NEILSON & MURPHY RUTHERGLEN SCOTLAND
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
If you get a copy of William's birth and death record you can get a copy of his service record from the MOD, costs £30 last time I checked

What was the cause of the infant deaths?

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 17 19:49 GMT (UK) »
        There is a marriage for William Nelson to Elizabeth Keenan at Cambuslang in 1935.     Alongside it, there is William McHardy married to Elizabeth Keenan, 1935, Cambuslang.     Both these entries have the same GRO number so these two marriages actually refer to the same people.
So they married in 1935.

There was a William Thomas Nelson born 1936 at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire and a Thomas Gerald Nelson born in 1937 at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire,  so this appears to be the two sons you mentioned.       ...There is a Thomas Gerard Nelson, who died aged 72 in 2010 and this death was registered at Martha street, in Glasgow.       

I know Gerard is different from Gerald.      However, Thomas Gerard Nelson was aged 72 when he died, which would make his birth 1938, and as Thomas Gerald Nelson was born in 1937, there is a possibility that this just might be him.

Offline Daniel Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
looking for SAMUEL NELSON married a lass from Malta. he was in the navy or merchant marines born 1920-1930 cir. in Lanarkshire Scotland his mother married 3 times her maiden name ATTWOOD other married name McGREGOR. SAMUEL'S 1/2 brother ROBERT McGREGOR and sister MILDRED. ROBERT emigrated to Queensland 1962 with his family. both Robert and Mildred are deceased in the 2000's. Regards Daniel Ryan 

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 April 17 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel,

Does your Samuel's mother & father have a forenames please which may help to confirm a link with Paul's family?

Do you have Samuel's birth cert?

If not, you would need to order it through scotlandspeople.gov.uk website which is a paying site where you buy credits in batches of 30 for £7.50 but you would need enough credits on your account to order the cert. which I think is around £12.00

Annie

Added......Do you know if Samuel is deceased as RC has a rule of not naming 'living or possibly living' people?
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Daniel Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 April 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
SAMUEL'S mother's maiden name was MILDRED ATTWOOD hence her daughter being named MILDRED also. No I don't know if SAMUEL is still living and am not sure of his birthdate only that he was younger than his brother ROBERT McSKIMMING McGREGOR ( born 1922 cir)who was a storekeeper in the Ballornock, Bannockburn, Glasgow area. MILDRED'S 1st husband was MR. McGREGOR (ROBERT'S FATHER) followed by MR. NELSON and 3rd husband was MR. SEMPLE. If that doesn't help I will try to find out more info on the family  Robert Mcskimming Mcgregor married Clothilde Lammens in Belgium during his ww2 service and had Sons Robert, Gerald, Alan and one daughter, Miriam all born in Glasgow. Miriam (born 1948) is my wife and has limited memories of her relations in Scotland, and as both parents and Auntie Mildred deceased I am finding it hard to proceed much further with her ancestry. Also her elder brother Robert (born 1947) passed away near the turn of this century cir 2000 Miriam's surviving 2 brothers live in Australia also. Regards Daniel Ryan

Offline stokesvalley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 October 17 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel Please email me regarding daughter of Robert McGregor (brother of Miriam) We have shown up as a DNA match on Ancestry. Louise 

Offline Daniel Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 October 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Louise, what do you want to know? Is it regarding Rebecca? Are you in Scotland?. Daniel

Offline annejay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 October 17 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Daniel Thanks for your reply, I have a DNA match on Ancestry with Denise_55 who shows she is descended from Robert McGregor 1947-2001
abbott london-maynard and hadley berkshire-lashmar and west sussex-sullivan and rooney lancashire-grahamand thompson london